Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Rampage Jackson blasted by fans for going "Hollywood"

2K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  michelangelo 
#1 ·
#4 ·
All those fans with there panties in a bunch need to sit back and think about there own life. If you got offered what might be millions to play a role in a movie to support your kids and familiy....Do it. You don't see this attitude about fedor not fighting more, but he's still considered the best now, let rampage fight once this year and make a movie. Those types of fans aren't really fans you want anyway.

#14 ·
People get so ridiculous about this.

Yes Quinton is a fighter and has been fighting for a long time and he's really good...but get real -

1) Be a famous movie star and be super rich
OR
2) Get paid less money to get punched in the head for a living

It was always obvious that Rampage loved to fight, but its always going to come down to money and peace of mind. Right now I think Rampage is more concerned with making some dough rather than being the next Randy Couture. Oh wait...Randy made a movie too:)

Honestly people need to relax.
He'll be back.

you two have it all wrong and in fact you have some facts completely backwards.

Dana mentioned yesterday that Rampage is getting paid shit to do this movie. Rampage is actually throwing away MILLIONS to do this fight with Rashad.

Not to mention everything Dana, the Zuffa boys, Spike and Rashad all had invested in this season of TUF.

#5 ·
People get so ridiculous about this.

Yes Quinton is a fighter and has been fighting for a long time and he's really good...but get real -

1) Be a famous movie star and be super rich
OR
2) Get paid less money to get punched in the head for a living

It was always obvious that Rampage loved to fight, but its always going to come down to money and peace of mind. Right now I think Rampage is more concerned with making some dough rather than being the next Randy Couture. Oh wait...Randy made a movie too:)

Honestly people need to relax.
He'll be back.

#6 ·
I can see why he took the role, I mean, when you've got kids, ideally, their well-being comes before anything & anyone, (which meant the higher paying gig), but of course I can see why people are peeved. I'm definitely disappointed, but ultimately, I can't blame him.

That being said, the grace in which I'm perceiving his decision is based on an assumption that he's doing this for the greater good of his family and not just because he wants to be a [dim] star.

Pulling out of the UFC short of your contract when you're between fights, training in the background and nowhere on the attention grid is one thing, but dry humping your organization, contract & fans when you're in the zenith of the lime light, when you're the main event, when you're the star of a reality show marketing your fight, after Dana bailed you out of jail (twice? :confused02:) when you were at a questionably, irrevocable low point in your life, where Dana could have justifiably kicked you out of the UFC for those antics, but didn't, and therefore, arguably allowed you to maintain your reputation & clout as a quasi-celebrity. That hump is extra dry and the middle finger raised extra high.

Rampage sort of owes Dana and I don't mean for Rampage's UFC celebrity status & accomplishments, but for bailing him out of his melt down, sticking with him and not letting him hang out to dry as a celebrity gone array, M.C. Hammer story.

#10 ·
Basically my feelings on the matter as well. I can definitely see why Rampage made the decision he made but in the end it's the fans and the UFC who are feeling the backlash. I mean, I can understand taking a movie role when in-between fights or when you're fight isn't all that important but c'mon, the UFC have put soo much into building up this fight. Rampage himself contributed largely to the hyping up this fight. A whole season of TUF centered around the trash-talking between Rashad and Rampage for a fight that isn't even going to happen. A main event in Rampage's hometown completely scrapped because Rampage got a "better offer."

Whatever I guess, at least now Rashad will have more ammo for future trash-talking the next time they decide to build up this fight again...

#7 ·
However, if Rampage is contractually, legally binding obligated to fight, Dana could sue him for breach of contract and I'm sure he would if he really wanted to, so I'm still a bit on the fence as to Dana's true feelings on this whole matter :confused02:

Maybe Dana see's it as UFC exposure, so he's catching and pitching at the same time.

#13 ·
This will sound strange but I don't think Page is a fighter at heart. He doesn't look like he's having fun in there like some guys do, I don't how much sense this makes but he looks like its not fun to him. He's also said that he totally hates training. Most of the other great fighters say they love the training and fight prep.
I don't know what any of this means but maybe he's just not that into it. :confused:

#21 ·
can understand them being mad over it, but Rampage did what he thought was the best idea for him imo.

he got a better offer, why not take it? oh well if some fans can't see past that.

#25 ·
I can almost bet that everyone here would much rather see Rampage fight than make a movie. But Rampage is doing what he wants to do, he wants to make a movie so we have to respect that. He's not only a fighter but he is also a person who has the right to do whatever they want.

But when that time comes for Rampage to fight Evans, i'll be placing my bets on Jackson for sure..

Black on Black crime!

#26 ·
What a bunch of nerds. I know that if I was in MMA and they offered me millions of dollars to do movies, I would go ahead and do the movie in a second. Why would I want to get paid 6 figures while putting my health in danger, while I can go make 50 times as much in Hollywood?

#30 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if Dana created those accounts on 'Page's website just to give him more grief. ;-)

Brian: you're right, 'Page's judgement is often south of stupid, but guys that talented will often receive a pass anyway. He'll be back fighting for the UFC, for sure. Dana and 'Page will kiss and make up, just like Tito and Dana did.

Heck, 'Page might even dry hump Dana's leg as an apology!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-6CMFSXIwg

Sorry, still don't know how to embed videos...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.