Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Strikeforce: Fedor Emelianenko vs Brett Rogers to Air on CBS November 7

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  kantowrestler 
#1 ·
Strikeforce: Fedor Emelianenko vs Brett Rogers to Air on CBS November 7
by Kid Nate on Sep 17, 2009 4:01 PM EDT in News
216 comments
From a Strikeforce press release:
The CBS Television Network will return to the mixed martial arts (MMA) cage with STRIKEFORCE: FEDOR VS. ROGERS, to be broadcast Saturday, Nov. 7 (9:00 PM, live ET/delayed PT). SHOWTIME Sports® will produce the four-fight event with host Gus Johnson calling the action and MMA legend Frank Shamrock and Mauro Ranallo serving as color analysts.

"There's no question this is a sport that is fast becoming a force in popularity and as a business," said Kelly Kahl, Senior Executive Vice President, Prime Time, CBS Television. "We're excited to be the platform that will enable millions more to see the athlete regarded as the very best in his sport. The Number One heavyweight on the most-watched network has a very nice ring to it."

"It is an honor to have the opportunity to bring the STRIKEFORCE brand to CBS," said Scott Coker, Founder and CEO of STRIKEFORCE. "We are looking forward to bringing MMA back to the network and to having the world's No. 1 heavyweight-Fedor-compete for the first time on live network television against one of America's most promising young, undefeated stars-Brett Rogers."
Full press release in extended entry.
Fedor, the #1 Ranked MMA Heavyweight in the World, To Be Seen for the First Time by Broadcast Television Audience.

The CBS Television Network will return to the mixed martial arts (MMA) cage with STRIKEFORCE: FEDOR VS. ROGERS, to be broadcast Saturday, Nov. 7 (9:00 PM, live ET/delayed PT). SHOWTIME Sports® will produce the four-fight event with host Gus Johnson calling the action and MMA legend Frank Shamrock and Mauro Ranallo serving as color analysts.

In 2008, CBS aired the first live MMA fights on network television, with three successful events earning time period-winning ratings in all key young adult and young men demographics. CBS's most recent broadcast in October 2008 ranked as the night's highest-rated program on both broadcast and cable in adults 18-34 and men 18-34, topping all other sports programming in those demographics, including the Major League Baseball playoffs and college football.

On Nov. 7, the world's Number One-ranked MMA heavyweight fighter, Fedor Emelianenko of Russia, will face undefeated American Brett Rogers of Minnesota in the marquee match up. The fight marks the first bout for the highly coveted Emelianenko since his promotional company M-1 Global signed an agreement with STRIKEFORCE to co-promote major events.

"There's no question this is a sport that is fast becoming a force in popularity and as a business," said Kelly Kahl, Senior Executive Vice President, Prime Time, CBS Television. "We're excited to be the platform that will enable millions more to see the athlete regarded as the very best in his sport. The Number One heavyweight on the most-watched network has a very nice ring to it."

Simply referred to as "Fedor" by fans around the world, the 6-foot, 235-pound Russian is one of the most dominant fighters in the sport. He is a master of the Russian military combat system ***** and boasts a record of 30 wins, one loss, no draws with 16 wins by submission, seven knockouts and seven decisions. The 28-year-old Rogers (10-0) is a massive physical specimen standing 6-feet, 5-inches tall and weighing 265 pounds. He possesses two of the heaviest hands in the sport of MMA, an attribute that has helped him knock out all 10 of his professional opponents.

"It is an honor to have the opportunity to bring the STRIKEFORCE brand to CBS," said Scott Coker, Founder and CEO of STRIKEFORCE. "We are looking forward to bringing MMA back to the network and to having the world's No. 1 heavyweight-Fedor-compete for the first time on live network television against one of America's most promising young, undefeated stars-Brett Rogers."

STRIKEFORCE has experienced significant growth since it launched its first MMA promotion on March 10, 2006. After signing a landmark deal to air live events on SHOWTIME® earlier this year, STRIKEFORCE earned the premium network its highest MMA rating ever on August 15 with Carano vs. Cyborg. Shortly before the live telecast, the main event principals-Gina Carano and Cris "Cyborg" Santos-were the most searched terms on Yahoo! and Google, while the fight was the most discussed subject on Twitter.

About STRIKEFORCE
STRIKEFORCE (www.strikeforce.com) is a world-class mixed martial arts cage fight promotion which, on Friday, March 10, 2006, made history with its "Shamrock vs. Gracie" event, the first sanctioned mixed martial arts fight card in California state history. The star-studded extravaganza, which pitted legendary champion Frank Shamrock against Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Cesar Gracie at San Jose's HP Pavilion, played host to a sold out, record crowd of 18,265. Since 1995, STRIKEFORCE has been the exclusive provider of martial arts programming for ESPN and, after 12 years of success as a leading, world championship kickboxing promotion, the company unveiled its mixed martial arts series with "Shamrock vs. Gracie." In May 2008, West Coast Productions, the parent company of STRIKEFORCE, partnered with Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment (SVS&E), an entity created in 2000 to oversee all business operation aspects of the San Jose Sharks and HP Pavilion at San Jose.

About M-1 Global

M-1 Global (www.m-1global.com) has been one of the leading Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) organizations in the world for over a decade. M-1 has promoted over 150 shows worldwide since 1995. Billed as the "World Cup of Mixed Martial Arts," the M-1 Challenge is a full season of MMA events that showcases some of the best up and coming MMA fighters in the world. Broadcast to over 90 countries around the world, including HDNet in the United States, the M-1 Challenge pits teams of five fighters representing their respective countries against each other for international bragging rights and the title of M-1 Challenge Champions. Fighters who succeed on the M-1 Challenge's international breeding ground will earn the opportunity to participate in major MMA events presented by M-1 Global and their promotional partners such as STRIKEFORCE.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/9/17/1035276/strikeforce-fedor-emelianenko-vs

Fedor on CBS- me likey. :thumbsup:

#14 · (Edited)
Lol. Yeah, I would love to see the UFC try that strategy now. Airing old fights on a relatively second rate cable channel.

Letter to Fedor:

Fedor, I love you. I worship the ground you walk on, but who in the hell is Brett Rogers? I've never heard of the guy. I know you think Dana is an ass clown, but can't you make your "Crazy Russian" manager get you better fights than this? Can't you tell him to at least find guys who people know?
My dream of watching you fight the best fighters in the worlds is over, I will follow the masses and foolishly continue to call you the best heavy weight ever; in return all I ask is that you fight guys who stand a chance of winning.

P.S. tell your wife and kids I said hi.

Curly

What don't you people get about this?

Fedor is from a different universe as far as fighting goes. It has nothing to do with Brett Rodgers.

At least Rodgers has a punchers chance, that's better than any other fighter in the world has against Emelianenko.

#7 ·
Boo! Boo to this card being on CBS. The last card that was on CBS was terrible and it seemed like that was because they wanted to make mma seem more friendly to the casual fan. Every stoppage was early as hell. I wish they would have this one on showtime, let there next challengers card or something be on cbs, dont ruin a good event with trying to make mma more user friendly.

#8 ·
That was a EliteXC show run by Gary Shaw and his equally dumb son Jared- this will be a Strikeforce show run by Scott Coker- who isn't a moron and knows how to showcase MMA. Trust me it will be a vastly different and, more importantly, much better product that will be shown on CBS to casual fans and one headlined by a true and elite Mixed Martial artist in Fedor, that best deserves to represent MMA to casual fans, and not the farce that was Kimbo. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Theres a rumor that this event might be held in the Sears Center in Chicago. It's actually not in chicago but close enough since its the nearest (under 30 miles) city. That'd be sweet as hell for me and friends to see Fedor in person. I'm excited for this one and crossing my fingers for it to be held in chicago.

#12 ·
Letter to Fedor:

Fedor, I love you. I worship the ground you walk on, but who in the hell is Brett Rogers? I've never heard of the guy. I know you think Dana is an ass clown, but can't you make your "Crazy Russian" manager get you better fights than this? Can't you tell him to at least find guys who people know?
My dream of watching you fight the best fighters in the worlds is over, I will follow the masses and foolishly continue to call you the best heavy weight ever; in return all I ask is that you fight guys who stand a chance of winning.

P.S. tell your wife and kids I said hi.

Curly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.