MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Options when you're inside an opponent's guard

View Single Post

Old 09-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Halfraq9
Flyweight

Halfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to beholdHalfraq9 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfNinja View Post
Sometimes I roll with stronger guys who have extremely tight guards and passing seems either a) nearly impossible, or b) like a waste of energy.

So what I'm looking for are other things that I can do before I attempt the guard pass; things that can distract or grief my opponent so he/she might do something that I can exploit.

And just a final note: please don't give me anything too dirty like nut shots or eye-gouges, because I'm the smallest guy in my gym and I'm not trying to get my ass kicked.
I have the same problem sometimes. I've had some success with a move called a canopener. Basically you put both hands on the back/crown of their head and your elbows as close as possible together on their chest, and pull. In order to relieve the pressure on their neck muscles they need to sit up. This causes them to open their guard. From there I begin to work my pass.

This doesn't work all the time but it does give you an option to try when you get stuck or serve as a distraction. Good luck.
Halfraq9 is offline   Reply With Quote