Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Nog to get the Winner of Carwin/Lesnar

3K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  turbohall 
#1 ·
#4 ·
If this is true then for the first time in a long time I'm going to be scared for Nog. He doesn't match up well with either of these guys honestly, but he probably has a better chance with Lesnar than Carwin.

Against Lesnar I see Nog being slammed a lot and eating a bunch of masterbation punches. On the feet Lesnar is slightly faster than Nog too. Still, I think against Brock the situation allows for a miracle submission in typical Nog style.

Against Carwin I can only see bad things honestly. Nog's striking defense is wide and he keeps his head straight up almost all the time. His head movement is non-existant too. If Shane doesn't decapitate Nog with the first big right he throws then he'll likely be able to finish Minotauro on the ground. Carwin doesn't have the speed Brock does but his punching power is far greater. I think Nog could win via a leg lock but I just don't see how even he could survive being hit by Shane.

#13 ·
Cains gotta be pissed. How'd he go from a number one contender match, to not even in line for the next fight. I believe he needs more time to get to that championship level, but he got screwed here. Dana has really been flip floping with his match ups lately.
And i believe that nog will probally get pounded by either of these guys.

#14 ·
I think Lesnar would keep the fight standing with Nog, he doesn't have great stand up but Nog doesn't have great stand up either and I think Lesnar could beat him with his reach. I don't see Nog being able to get the fight to the ground unless Lesnar wants to go there.

I think Carwin would lose to Nog, I think he would get caught in some kind of submission much like Lesnar did in his first fight with Mir, get Nog kind of rocked but then make a mistake. Carwin hasn't fought a fighter like Mir or Nog yet and against Gonzaga he showed that he can make some simple mistakes, just hasn't paid for one yet. I think Nog could be the man to make him pay if they were to fight. Lesnar is going to beat Carwin though so we don't have to worry about that as long as this is true.

#16 ·
Nog needs to beat Mir first, if Cain wins give him a chance before Nog. Brock would GNP him out. I think Nog would beat Carwin. Brock would have to be very careful not to get caught by Nog in a sub move, but I think Brock is smarter then that and would win. I think Nog needs to beat Mir before he gets a title shot.

#17 ·
Nog has great skills and he's a respectful fighter. I've always liked him, and I hope that he continues to fight.

However, I don't think he's a top contender (top 3-5) in the heavyweight division. To be honest, I don't think he matches up well against Brock. Sure, he's eaten some near KOs and come out with sub wins, but brock is a whole different animal. I'm not a big Brock fan (especially dislike his attitude), but I respect his abilities. I don't think it's realistic to conclude that Nog will give Brock much to worry about. This isn't the same Lesnar that lost to Mir back in early 2008.

Carwin on the other hand... I'm not sure how he would match up against Nog. I think Nog could certainly submit him, but he'd have to be uber careful not to catch a solid blow. Otherwise, he'd be out. Carwin hasn't fought someone like Nog before, so I'd honestly be more interested in that fight. Too bad though, because I don't see Carwin getting past Lesnar.

#18 ·
Dav35 I agree, if you think about it Carwin has not fought anyone like Brock, got it the same goes for Brock he has not fought a MMA fighter like Carwin, but at least Brock has fought better fighters. I am one who cannot wait to see Brock and Carwin to go at it. But I feel like Carwin will gas out in the second, because Carwin has not fought anyone past 2 minutes and 11 seconds, I am sure Brock will take him past that. Unless we find out that Carwin has no chin and Brock lands a good punch.

Nog is good dont get me wrong but I dont think he can bet Brock, I want to see Nog fight Mir again so we can find out if Mir is better or not and Nog will not have some excuse.

#19 ·
A sneaky Nog-style sub is the only way I can see him win, but as Brock demonstrated he is past the stage where he can get subbed just like that no matter how good grappler you are. Nog isn't as strong and athletic as Mir is, and I see him getting nuked standing in this fight specially if he keeps trying to take Brock down.

It took a while for Nog to get Sylvia down in their fight, and Sylvia got very questionable wrestling anyway. There is no way this fight is going to ground unless Brock wants it to, and if he wants it to then it wont be with him laying on Nog's guard. Instead he'll do like with Mir and keep shooting until he actually lands in side control, because as you saw in Mir fight he actually stood up from guard only to take Mir down until he got the desired postion.

Nothing but <3 for Nog, but he wont be beating Brock, Carwin or Mir in ufc, add Fedor on that list and suddenly we got former #2 HW of world as #5, its still good though.

#20 ·
I said in another thread that Carwin has much more devistating punches than Brock, even though Brock may be the stronger of the two. Not really because he has better technique or faster hand speed, but because his hands are smaller than Brock's. Brocks arms are like two fire hydrants, great for clubbing people with but not so great a weapon in a thrusting motion (which is what a punch basically is)

The damage is spread over a wide area and ends up losing power, not to say Brock's punches can't knock someone out, but I don't think they have the one shot kill power that Carwin seems to have.

Take the punch Lesnar landed on Heath Herring and the shot Carwin knocked the tall dude out with (forgot his name.) Stick them side by side and they look like identical punches. Left hand lines it up followed by a fully extended right. Brocks fist is like half the size of Heath's head and sends him FLYING, but doesn't put him out. Carwin's punch lands on the jaw and sends dude's mouthpiece flying away. The definition of KTFO. Lesnar's punch is spread out over a wide area and doesn't catch the jaw the same as Shane's punch does.

If either of these guys lands that kind of punch on Nog, he's going down for sure. But Brock isn't going to knock him out. Shane has a good chance of doing so.

Like I said before, both guys match up badly for Nog. He'll have to jump out of a freshly dug grave to land a submission.

Even worse yet, both guys are good wrestlers. Brock is massive and quick on the ground, match that with his strength and I doubt Nog will be able to sweep him or hold him down. Carwin is good too. He basically stood up when Gonzaga had him mounted. Gonzaga is known for being a MONSTER in the top game and Shane just stood up after being rocked.

#22 ·
Take the punch Lesnar landed on Heath Herring and the shot Carwin knocked the tall dude out with (forgot his name.) Stick them side by side and they look like identical punches. Left hand lines it up followed by a fully extended right. Brocks fist is like half the size of Heath's head and sends him FLYING, but doesn't put him out. Carwin's punch lands on the jaw and sends dude's mouthpiece flying away. The definition of KTFO. Lesnar's punch is spread out over a wide area and doesn't catch the jaw the same as Shane's punch does.
I think that if Lesnar's punch actually hit Herring's jaw it is done right there. Instead he caught above the jaw and smashed Herring's face in.

Both men are bad match ups for Nog.

#23 ·
A sneaky Nog-style sub is the only way I can see him win, but as Brock demonstrated he is past the stage where he can get subbed just like that no matter how good grappler you are
Just because Brock neutralized Mir, that doesnt mean he is "past" ending up on the ground against someone like Nog. Mir himself kept the fight standing because of how much he respects Nog's ground game.

I would LOVE to see Mir vs Nog happen again to set my heart to rest lol.

#24 ·
To be fair, saying Brock "neutralized" Mir is an understatement. Lesnar didn't "end up" on the ground. That's where he wanted the fight to go.

Mir didn't even stand a chance on the ground. Period.

Sure Mir respects Nog's ground skills. I do too. He's amazing. Unfortunately, I think he'd have a reallllly hard time submitting a freak like Brock. It sucks, but it's just the reality of things.

#26 ·
Ricco Rodriguez, Bob Sapp, Tim Sylvia, Nog has huge problems with big men and if he has to face Lesnar he is in trouble because Lesnar has excellent top control something none of the above but Ricco had. Now as some of you who have seen the fight might realize is that in the UFC Ricco not Nog wins that decision. Lesnar would take this fight.

#32 ·
Definitely think Nog would be Lesnar's first tough challenge. Couture did GREAT against Lesnar (best so far, besides Mir's win), and Nog dominated Couture everywhere.

Now that I think about it, Nog was able to throw and take down and transition on Couture when Lesnar couldn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.