Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

first time sparring

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  HitOrGetHit 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Im a new fighter, have been only training for about 2 months now, and i was wondering what your first sparring experience was like. I just had mine today and I got completely wrecked in 3 rounds. I was told when you spar you only go about 40%, yet when I got in there I was getting hit with bombs non stop. Normally, how hard do you guys spar, and is it better the more you get your butt kicked. Damn, its discouraging getting your ass kicked.

#2 ·
It really depends, usually I go less than 80% with head gear etc but remember your going to get back what you give. But take it easy when your starting, I've seen a bunch of guys get injured going to hard to fast.

Keep your chin up, you'll get better :thumbsup:

#3 ·
It really depends, usually I go less than 80% with head gear etc but remember your going to get back what you give. But take it easy when your starting, I've seen a bunch of guys get injured going to hard to fast.

Keep your chin up, you'll get better :thumbsup:
I got my ass handed to me a number or times, and still do. Go super light and concentrate on form more than anything else. This is training, not a fight. Reinforce to your partner that you're a total newbie and GO LIGHT. If you throw, so will your partner..
Good luck - Hope this helps,..

#5 ·
If you get whooped do not be discouraged! If anything view it posotivley. You are not supposed to go in there and not get hit and destroy everyone. When you get whooped in sparring you get better and what not. I usually laugh and smile when I get hit. I remember my first time, I was put up against all older (22+ years) experinced fighters. I got whooped for 3-4 rounds and I had a blast man!

#6 · (Edited)
I remember the first time I spared it was when I was in TKD I was sparring against a black belt and got my as handed to me for 3 minuets strait before we switched partners then I got my head knocked off literally by a brown belt till I finally gout to some one around my level.

we only went around 60 to 70% but a TKD front kick will knock the wind out of ya.

#7 ·
I remember my first sparring session and at 1st I felt really overwhelmed and very nervy. You will improve as you start to feel more comfortable in the Cage/Ring.

My first ever sparring partner had sick Thai and not only bashed me round the cage with body and head shots but also gave me dead legs which lasted for days. I would say that you need to be going at 40-60% in sparring as you are trying to create an invironment of a fight.

Just try and relax on your next session and don't beat yourself up mentally. Give it time you have only been training a few months.

#8 ·
ask to be paired with someone else. complain to the instructor that he isn't sparring, he is trying to hurt you. TBH there is a difference. If your nose is getting busted, first punch, there is something wrong with the training matchup.

Seriously, let the instructor know. You aren't there to build some other douchebag's confidence while you rack up injuries and medical bills.

#11 ·
A month after I started Muay Thai, I took three body shots that broke my ribs, severely bruised the surrounding muscle and damaged my spine from impact.

Three months on my back still isn't the same.

But your instructor should be spotting any hard sparring and quash it asap, mine didn't but if you ask I'm sure he'll be more than happy to oblige. Any good coach doesn't want a reputation for having banged up fighters.

#13 ·
This was a Muay Thai gym where the coach is a well respected former world champion, but he was at one end of the gym with his pros when us newbies were fending for ourselves.

When the back is better I'll be looking at BJJ with striking as a little extra till I can balance the budget.

Just a pity this other guy didn't understand sparring ettiquette, sparring is a means for learning and developing, not to get your daily frustrations out.

#14 ·
From my own personal experiences of my gym newbies would at least have had someone there to assist and give advice. But I suppose that is just not always possible. For a sparring partner to go that hard he couldn't have been going to the gym that long and sounds like he shouldn't have even been put into the ring to spar.

We have a lot of guys that compete including myself and if that happened the shit would hit the fan big time.

Good luck with the BJJ bro, it's wicked. I hope all goes well for ya.

#15 ·
Thanks, working in education I also don't get a lot of time for any strength and conditioning training so I guess that also made it a lot easier to get injured in Muay Thai.

Certainly opened my eyes to how I should prepare for a combat sport.

#16 ·
When we spar at my friends academy, we usually go at it. The way we see it is we'd much rather have our asses kicked in the gym then in a match. This style isn't for everyone, hell it's not even smart really, but it's how we learn to persevere and build our, "kill or be killed," mindset that we take into a match. From what I'm use to, if you're not bloody and beat down, then you took the day off.

#17 ·
I usually spar at about 80% but my first sparring session was with a big 225 pound fire fighter whos been doing kickboxing for years and I had only just taken about 6 classes ( I was a 155 fighter at the time ). I got beat pretty bad, I landed a few nice jab cross combos on him but other then that I was just taking bombs to the head, dropping my head, turning my back, but a month later I dominated him, started training a lot harder then he did and was in the ring sparring everyday. Its just something that comes natural, after a while you dont really think about it and that was my biggest problem, I use to think when I got in the ring.

#18 ·
Sometimes the thought of taking damage is what makes you take damage in the first place. If you go in there and treat is as a chance to refine technique and have a good partner, then the benefits are far more easier to get, and you don't get drawn into bad habits like turning your back or your head away.

I'm only just realising this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.