MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Why did Belfort get 4 tries to make weight?
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Outta My Head
I believe a fighter has a certain amount of time to attempt to cut weight from their first initial "weigh-in." Actually, I found it here, under NSAC rule set for Boxing and MMA, NAC 467.7956 concerning weigh-ins and cutting more weight after the original weigh-in.

2. After the weigh-in of an unarmed combatant competing in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts:

(a) Weight loss in excess of 2 pounds is not permitted for an unarmed combatant who weighed in at 145 pounds or less.

(b) Weight loss in excess of 3 pounds is not permitted for an unarmed combatant who weighed in at over 145 pounds.

3. The weight loss described in subsection 2 must not occur later than 2 hours after the initial weigh-in.
So, if a fighter is within 3 pounds of the agreed weight limit for the bout, they have up to 2 hours to lose the excess weight after the initial weigh-in. If they are over 3 pounds on the initial weigh-in, they don't have a chance to cut any more weight without penalty. Within that limit, you have as many tries as you can to make weight up until the 2-hour time limit.

It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree... As long as I don't bore you and I spark a moment of thought, my goal is achieved.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome