MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Why did Belfort get 4 tries to make weight?

View Single Post

Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Onganju
Outta My Head

Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
I believe a fighter has a certain amount of time to attempt to cut weight from their first initial "weigh-in." Actually, I found it here, under NSAC rule set for Boxing and MMA, NAC 467.7956 concerning weigh-ins and cutting more weight after the original weigh-in.

Quote:
2. After the weigh-in of an unarmed combatant competing in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts:

(a) Weight loss in excess of 2 pounds is not permitted for an unarmed combatant who weighed in at 145 pounds or less.

(b) Weight loss in excess of 3 pounds is not permitted for an unarmed combatant who weighed in at over 145 pounds.

3. The weight loss described in subsection 2 must not occur later than 2 hours after the initial weigh-in.
So, if a fighter is within 3 pounds of the agreed weight limit for the bout, they have up to 2 hours to lose the excess weight after the initial weigh-in. If they are over 3 pounds on the initial weigh-in, they don't have a chance to cut any more weight without penalty. Within that limit, you have as many tries as you can to make weight up until the 2-hour time limit.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote