MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Back to Basics

Thread: Back to Basics
View Single Post

Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #208 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
IronMan I am new to these forums and new to MMA in general, to sum up what I have to say before i type up 1049503 pages of praise towards you.. lets just say you are godlike. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Great thread
Glad you guys like it. Feel free to ask questions if they come up.

I'm going to go through at some point next week and index pages 11-20 as I did with pages 1-10 (you can see on the first page that all of the techniques are listed and linked to, so they're easier to find).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKY View Post
Hey Ironman, I know this question has been asked, but honestly it's really not working for me. How do you escape side mount if your opponent is actually trying to lay and pray. In Judo every time someone gets to side control, all they care about is getting the hold down and not the finish. I can't seem to escape because I really suck a bridgeing. I wouldn't mind regaining guard however.
Yeah, this is one of the problems I found my first few weeks of training judo style newaza, and it's a great question.

Shaun's answers are actually a pretty good way of getting back to guard in a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu context and, if you go back to the index on the first page, I'm pretty sure I get into some detail about escaping the side control in BJJ.

However the standard bump and shrimp is really not effective against an opponent who's entire focus is on controlling your shoulders. The reason why shrimping and creating space is so much easier in jiu-jitsu is because guys usually are looking for the mount, so they're trying to move to advance the position.

So, my advice in the context of judo is actually going to take a little longer to execute, but is still pretty straight forward. It's worth noting that these are going to put you on top and not back in the guard. At the end I'll explain how you can go back to the guard instead of getting the reversal.

Also, these are pretty traditional judo reversals from what I've been able to gather.

Try and get on one side. The standard jiu-jitsu defense is to bridge, get to the side, shrimp out and sneak the leg in. I don't both with this in judo, because the other guy, not thinking about the submission, is going to apply pressure to the shoulders and ignore the position.

So get on your side and take some time getting there (remember, you've got 15 seconds before he starts scoring; use it to secure a position that you feel you can use effectively before you start looking for reversals). Sink in an underhook, either on the belt or on the leg, then rock him either across your body or to the other side.

If you just want to go back to guard, or are finding that he's blocking your rolls before you can completely turn him over, that should create the necessary space to shrimp out and sneak a leg in to put him in guard.

If he has both underhooks, you're generally in trouble. What I've been doing, and it's been working against guys my size, is to slide my hips out and turn him over. There's a kick-up move that my coach has been trying to get me to use, but I'm not quick enough to make that part effective yet.

Quote:
Another question. How do I regain guard from quarter guard. In BJJ I only train Gi, and any time someone gets to quarter guard, they just go for GI chokes instead of trying to pass. This makes it difficult for me to escape. Any advice?
Now it's worth noting that my entire understanding of quarter guard is based on work with 10th Planet guys, and I usually avoid the position because I see it as a transition back to half from a disadvantaged position.

The first thing to remember is that your opponent is definitely going to attack you to get past the quarter guard, either to score points for their position or to regain it. Those attacks have to be addressed as they come, either by looking for a sweep from the position to give him something else to worry about, or by making sure he can't attack you by creating a more advantaged position.

The most effective way to get from the quarter guard to the full guard is to go by way of the half guard, in my experience. However, I rarely go back straight to the full guard.

The answer is, basically, to stuff the knee as you roll to your other side. If your opponent is attempting a collar choke, this move needs to be fast. Put both hands on the knee, stuff it and, as you're stuffing it, roll so that your outside arm can more effectively achieve and then use the underhook.

From half guard, the transition back to full guard is, generally, very easy. So I won't bother getting into that unless you need it.

Still, remember that if you want this to work, make sure you're actively looking to use the sweeps you know. Sometimes that will make your opponent back off the pressure a little bit and give you the space and time you need to regain the half.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote