Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Hendo to leave UFC for Strikeforce?

1K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  TERMINATOR 
#1 ·
#2 ·
On the plus side, it's a Kevin Iole article.

Iole said:
Henderson could not be reached for comment Friday, but White confirmed he was unable to come to terms with Henderson. White indicated the company’s contractual right of first refusal had expired and they would not seek to match contract offers Henderson may receive. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker did not return phone calls.

White, though, said he wanted to re-sign Henderson but couldn’t agree on the money in a new deal.
Which person said Hendo's jumping?
Hendo?
Dana?
Coker?

Oh yeah. No one.

#4 ·
As Henderson's friend and business partner Aaron Crecy told MMA Fanhouse, "We had a brief get-to-know-you session with (Strikeforce) and met them for coffee, but to say he's close to signing would be a gross misrepresentation." And as Dan himself told MMA Weekly, "I’m still hoping to come to terms with the UFC, until I heard this...I’ve never even seen an offer from (Strikeforce).”

Perhaps I jumped the gun a bit...sorry

:(

#6 ·
Latest from MMAJunkie:

But Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC), who earned a base pay of $250,000 ($150,00 of which was a win bonus) for the Bisping win, recently told HDNet's "Inside MMA" that he won't be heading to a rival organization.

"I don't plan on fighting anywhere else," said Henderson, who reportedly met with Strikeforce officials, during the Sept. 18 edition of the show. "It never even entered my mind that I'd be anywhere else. It's just something myself, Dana (White) and the other guys over there at the UFC, we need to sit down and figure it out for my next fight."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16538/dan...n-with-ufc-could-meet-nate-marquardt-next.mma

More proof Iole shouldn't have anything to do with MMA.

#7 ·
that would suck. Hendo belongs in the UFC, but he will never be a champ again if he stays (imo). Im surprised if there really was an issue over cash, rather than simply the title shot.

Hendo would be a huge name aquisition for Strikeforce but yeah, glad to read it's just a roomer.

#8 ·
Dan Henderson expects to re-sign with UFC, could meet Nate Marquardt next (Updated)

Following his UFC 100 knockout victory over Michael Bisping, Dan Henderson found himself in a rare spot for fighters: coming off a UFC win without any contracted fights left.

While UFC officials may have thought a new deal easily could be reached, the two sides apparently have very different opinions regarding what the 39-year-old fighter's services are worth.

But Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC), who earned a base pay of $250,000 ($150,00 of which was a win bonus) for the Bisping win, recently told HDNet's "Inside MMA" that he won't be heading to a rival organization.

"I don't plan on fighting anywhere else," said Henderson, who reportedly met with Strikeforce officials, during the Sept. 18 edition of the show. "It never even entered my mind that I'd be anywhere else. It's just something myself, Dana (White) and the other guys over there at the UFC, we need to sit down and figure it out for my next fight."

Before and after Henderson's win over Bisping in July, White said the former PRIDE champion would likely be the next to challenge for Anderson Silva's middleweight belt. But Silva, who defeated Henderson via second-round submission in March 2008, and his camp have expressed disinterest in a rematch. Silva, meanwhile, is expected to fight Vitor Belfort at UFC 108 in January.

Henderson hinted a fight with Nate Marquardt, a fellow top contender who's also suffered a previous loss to Silva, could be next.

"It doesn't look like it'll be him," Henderson said of Silva. "But my guess is my next two fights will be Marquardt and Anderson Silva. It doesn't matter to me which order they're in."

Check out the embedded clip for the full conversation.
Source and video @
http://mmajunkie.com/news/16538/dan...n-with-ufc-could-meet-nate-marquardt-next.mma

I'm happy to hear this, I really wanna see Hendo/Marquardt.

Thoughts?

#9 ·
this thread make me much happier than the 'hendo signing with strikeforce' one. Just want to see him continuing to fight the best. He's one of my fav MMA staples. Thanks Xerxes.

While i think Hendo deserved a shot, i am glad to see him voicing that he's going to fight who ever is put infront of him, onace again. Better than the BS coming out of Anderson's 'No, he's not worthy of Silva' camp/manager as of recently.

#10 ·
I watched this on HDNet over a month ago. The rumors and statements come from the fact that since this statement, no deal has been reached. While I personally think the latest from White is a negotiation tactic, it is, in fact, the latest.

#12 · (Edited)
Agreed on all accounts shatterproof.

Seems like Hendo's main issue at this point is money, rather than not getting the title shot he was once "promised" or having to fight another opponent to get it (and get to avenge his loss to AS).

And good to know jasvll, thought this was last week's episode. :(

EDIT:
I merged the 2 "Hendo to UFC or SF?" threads together.

#17 ·
Intrigued by Hendo v. Fedor?

1) Hendo approaches with right fist cocked.

2) Fedor approaches with cold stare.

3) Hendo Throws said overhand right.

4) Fedor throws right uppercut while dodging left.

5) See: Fedor v. Arlovski.

I like your idea of him v. mousassi. That would be a fun fight.

#19 ·
I doubt it's true, but it would be a bigger loss for Henderson. The UFC has treated him well. He's gotten two title shots in, what, 4 fights? He lost to Rampage and got destroyed by Silva. Then he barely got by Franklin (I thought he lost). His best performance was against Bisbing. And yet he's still in contention for another title shot in a couple of fights. Honestly I don't see what the problem is. It's not like he hasn't had opportunities.

#21 ·
Well, the truth is, he may have a better career outside the UFC. He's not going to ever beat Anderson or Machida, IMO. But if he feels he can, he should stick it out for a couple of fights. Problem is, Dana will probably want to lock him in for 6. It's a tough choice. I do think he'd run the table at Strikeforce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.