MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Bleeding

Thread: Bleeding
View Single Post

Old 01-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Onganju
Outta My Head

Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
One thing to keep in mind (that nobody has mentioned) is if you use any sort of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) on a regular basis. What I mean to address is whether or not you use any of the following common "pain relievers" on the market: Alleve, Advil, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Naproxin, Motrin or the like.

The reason being is that they block the production of a natural body enzyme cyclooxgenase (COX) to treat pain, fever and inflammation. However they aren't very discriminatory in that function, and block both COX I and COX II which carries a side-effect of blocking platelet function (the red blood cells that handle blood clotting). In effect they thin the blood and make it easier to bleed (and many times profusely when it starts).

Aspirin is actually the worst when it comes to this. For this same reason Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is used in hospitals for pain relief, especially in patients that are due for/recovering from surgery. It is also the same reason why it's the only over-the-counter pain relief that most (knowlegeable) competitors use for 30 days prior to fight time. That may be applicable to you, or it may not be. It is something I would consider if it is.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote