Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

UFC discussion from the past 6

33K views 773 replies 320 participants last post by  truebluefan 
#1 ·
Great fighter or Greatest fighter?

lol, but srsly. he was good back in the day and helped raise the sport to the level it is now. so how do you feel about ken shamrock? and does anyone know who/if he plans to fight?

#3 ·
Ive never really liked Ken but I still think hes done alot to help make the sport more popular. His feud with Tito I would say probably brought in more fans to the UFC then any other rivalry ever. I really hope he doesnt come back to fight though. I understand the warrior spirit but his knees are terrible now and I dont want to see another legend like Sakuraba running around only able to beat scrubs and just getting stomped by any young talent. Say it with me 3 times Ken, I am not Randy Couture, I am not Randy Couture, I am not Randy Couture.

#6 ·
One of the greatest - I mean he's in the UFC Hall of Fame. But, I seriously want him to sit in the audience instead of stand in the Octagon. He's seriously diminishing his legacy coming off of all those brutal losses, and he's well beyond his prime. It would be different if he was fighting guys his own age, but then again he lost to Don Frye a while back. Unless his next fight is against Frank Shamrock, I wish that he would retire and continue to train others to be good fighters.

#7 ·
I give Ken the up most respect. Without Ken, who knows, maybe the UFC would not be what it is today, or maybe there would be no UFC. Ken has transcended a sport into the mainstream, and for that I commend him.

His first bout against Tito was the start of a revolution. GO KENNNY!

#10 ·
OH SHI-

Channers in my mmaforum?

He could never beat Royce, even when he had a 50+lbs advantage.

#11 ·
Was a good fighter who helped the sport grow. Definitely an influential fighter, who had one of the all time best training camps (Lions Den). He had swank sideburns, too. I mean, sure, he has been in 3 of the worst fights ever, but that doesn't mean he can't be entertaining. I dug the hell out of his fights with Kimo (Ken going all leglocky on Kimo ruled. Sure, it's Kimo, but that shit still rules), Frye (Epic fight, and Ken pulled off a flyin' heel hook), and Severn (Their first fight, of course).

So, yeah, I like Ken.

#12 ·
Ken went from ufc 1 to 61, that alone is a great accomplishment and compliment to his ability and/or drawing power. Shamrock also had the coolest leg locks ever, I mean his heel hook on Pat Smith and spinning knee bar on Bas Rutten are utterly awesome. And the flying heel hook on Don Frye.

Shamrock pretty much put the ufc to a new level. Shamrock vs Ortiz was the first really good card Zuffa had produced (debateable). First one to have betting lines mainstream and most buys. Tito = star. Tito loses to Couture = star. Liddell beats Tito. Liddell = star. Liddell and Couture have the first TUF which captures a whole new core of fans.

#13 ·
Ken is my favorite fighter and always will be despite the losses last year in under 3 minutes, hes still a legend to me and it would be an honor to shake hands with him.

Also, I'm glad to finally see a thread about Shamrock where more then 95% of it is positive :thumbsup: Reading these threads lately with all these terrible comments about Ken honestly, it makes my stomache sick. I have soo much respect for that man you guys have no idea, and to hear some good news about him and the UFC is good to know and I have to see these disrespectful comments about the same thing.

Ken's transition into pro wrestling defenatly was a good thing for both the sport and for himself, he got his name out there and made a ton of loop and also got the word around about the UFC, heck, him and Owen Hart also had a Lion's Den match and another in Stu Harts Dungeon, all in honor of MMA.

The Randy Couture thing is getting old too, 'Ken is not Randy' ... it should be the other way around, Randy is not Ken.

#14 ·
Ken was a pro wrestler before an mma fighter. He made the cross back for the money, I can't blame him. He finished his contract got some offers and went back to what he loves doing. Sure Ken was broken down and past his athletic prime but hell he put on some great fights. I mean Fujita, Frye and Tito one and all huge, epic and fun fights.

#15 ·
I mean his heel hook on Pat Smith and spinning knee bar on Bas Rutten are utterly awesome. And the flying heel hook on Don Frye.
I can only agree on 2 of those 3 things.

Ken vs Fujita did indeed rule. I can't believe I didn't mention that. Also, I liked his fight with Otsuka a lot. Granted, it's Otsuka, but Ken did look really good in that fight.

#18 ·
One of my favorite fighters forever...The man has integrity, and I believe that every fighter should thank him for his contribution to the sport...That being said, I have to agree with Maximus. I would rather see him coaching some new talent than getting kicked around the octagon. He doesn't really have anything left to prove...

#19 ·
yea, hes great, and hes done so much for the sport. his feud with tito brought alot of people into the sport. but damn i just wish he could put up a better fight rather than getting beat down horribly 3 times in a row.

#20 · (Edited)
Does Arlovski deserve a title shot?

I read in afew other threads that AA deserves a title shot? What do you guys think of AA? Does he deserve a title shot? And how do you think he would perform against other heavy weights coming over from pride, or/and tim "crapzilla" silvia should they fight again.

#21 ·
This is coming from a huge Arlovski fan first off.

I don't think he really deserves one but I cannot right now off the top of my head think that anyone else is in line ahead of him. I suppose he could fight Nogeira (if he wins) or Cheik Kongo (if he wins) for the #1 contender.

#22 · (Edited)
Josh3239 said:
This is coming from a huge Arlovski fan first off.

I don't think he really deserves one but I cannot right now off the top of my head think that anyone else is in line ahead of him. I suppose he could fight Nogeira (if he wins) or Cheik Kongo (if he wins) for the #1 contender.
Yea, but do you see him beating CC, shogun, couture?

SHOGUN IS 205!!!! I KNOW, YOU KNOW, WE ALL KNOW!!! its a dream fight, i want to see it happen, prob not going to happen like fedor v couture.

#23 ·
I don't think he deserves the title. His last fight wasn't the fight of someone who wanted a championship belt around his waist, it was the fight of someone afraid to lose again and lose his contract. He must show that old warrior spirit that made him the champ to begin with. He has heavy hands and a really awesome ground game, he should use them and make oponents realize there is no where to hide from him. Right now his weakness is his fear of being let go by the UFC with all this new talent they are brining in.

#24 ·
I think AA needs to beat a top contender to earn a spot and he also has to wait behind Sylvia who is ahead of him. I like AA but he needs to get agressive again he's been pretty boring since Sylvia beat him the first time.

AA IMO would do ok against the current HW divison

AA vs Couture Win idk I think AA takes it but it'll be tough

AA vs Sylvia 4 Win I don't care because I won't watch this fight if it happens

AA vs Big Nog Loss Big Nog has faced better strikers then AA and beaten them.

AA vs Cro Cop Loss I think Cro Cop would sit back and catch him with a kick

AA vs Gonzaga Win Until I see more of Gonzaga's stand up I think AA is a good match up for him

AA vs Fedor Loss AA worst match up in MMA is Fedor a guy who is better in stand up and will destroy him on the ground.

#25 ·
He deservres a shot just becoz i cant think of any other heavyweight who shoyuld get it before him... lol everyone else is coming off a loss eheheh

#26 ·
xeberus said:
Yea, but do you see him beating CC, shogun, couture?
Shogun isn't a HW but if they did fight........
I don't know because Andre stand up reminds me of Overeem a lot and Overeem trashed Shogun standing the 2nd fight. But i'd be curios to see If Shogun could clinch AA and knee him. If Shogun gets AA down AA is done because Shogun's GNP is vicous

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.