Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

BJJ moves effective on the street.

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  coop 
#1 ·
Hey guy I was just thinking about BJJ for self defense. I know its a great style but the problem is that once the teeth become a factor a large percentage of their moves go out the window. what subs do you guys know of that would be effective on the street.

the only ones I can think of right off the top of my head.

Knee bar
heel hook
rear naked choke.
maybe kamura depending on the clothes you wearing.
alligator choke (from guard your right leg across his left ear and back of head his right arm in his neck and press head down.)

what can you think of?

#3 ·
BJJ is plenty effective on the street if you actually know what you are doing. I think that's the main factor in using it for self defense. It's the same with any martial art though, if you don't know what you are doing it wouldn't be all that effective.

I can think of plenty of subs that would be effective on the street....

Just to name a few off that I could see using:

Legs:
knee bar
heel hook
toe hold
straight ankle lock
calf slicer

Arms/shoulders:
armbar
kimura
key lock
100% lock
omo plata
straight arm lock
wrist locks

Chokes:
d'arce
brabo
anaconda
arm triangle
triangle
guillotine
ezekial
peruvian neck tie
10 finger guillotine
forearm choke
monson choke

Those are just a few different moves I can think of right off the top of my head that would be effective on the street. Bjj is all about position and if you can position yourself right for all these subs it's going to be impossible for some newb that knows no better to stop you from tearing him apart.

As far as your comment about the teeth coming into play and becoming a factor...go ahead and let me catch you in an armbar...you bite and I torque on that arm and let's see who ends up on the worse end of that exchange. Unless you've got rabies I'm gonna go home with a small bite mark (as much as you can bite before you beging screaming in pain from having your arm snapped) while you are going to the hospital to have your arm put back together. Just about any arm lock that might put you close enough to get bit is going to inflict far more damage than a bite ever could.

#4 ·
yha but as i said in my origonal post when someone can bite you losts of hose go out the window. arm bar bit the leg triangle bite the leg looking for one that keeps your body far enough away from the guys teeth so he cant bite you. thats the problem

#7 ·
To clarify a little more on what "I would do". Let me give you a few examples hypothetically speaking in a "street fight" situation.

I go for armbar and secure it. He bites me. I break his arm. He most likely isn't thinking about biting me anymore. If he continues to bite me I break his wrist. If he's still biting me I snap his forearm. I promise you he's not biting me anymore.

I go for Kimura or key lock. He bites me. I rip his shoulder clean out of socket. if he continues to bite me I switch to straight arm lock and break his arm. If he continues to bite I break his wrist. If he continues to bite I switch to arm triangle and choke him unconcious.

Not that it matters anyhow because the first bone you break they are done, they won't continue to bite, if they do however have no pain receptors in their brain and aren't effected by having their limbs broken then continue to break stuff until they give up. I would break something and say "you done yet or you want me to break more?" and continue doing this until they removed their teeth from my body.

#10 ·
It's not really about being wrong or right to me. It's about helping people to better understand BJJ and grappling arts. I can completely understand where you are coming from because I was once in the same situation.

BJJ is a really odd art because it's really hard to understand how effective it is against someone who doesn't know it until you actually try it with someone who's pretty good at it. I would suggest finding a legit gym and go in there and roll with a good mid level/high level blue at least and you will see that BJJ is pretty darn effective and gives you the ability to toss people around and manipulate their base to gain dominant positions, secure submission holds, and beat them to death.

I see it all the time though, people come in and say "it doesn't look that hard" until they get on the mat the first time...then the immediate response is "this shit is hard!!". Just like that body builder I've been giving lessons too. He came in the first time and had it in his mind that I couldn't do anything to him because he was so much bigger and stronger than me that he would simply outpower me. He got a rude awakening and got tapped about 20-30 times in just a few minutes. He was so impressed at how effective it was that he signed up for private lessons two times a week for about a month now.

#13 ·
Well, I've heard this many times and honestly it's the main question posed about BJJ more often than not. I'll try to answer it as best I can.

I have been training in BJJ, Judo, wrestling, etc. for a while and I teach BJJ. When someone comes to me and asks "what's the best thing I can do when being attacked my multiple attackers?" I tell them the same thing "talk your way out of the situation or run". I've also trained in Muay-Thai kickboxing for over 7 years and I would give the same advice to someone who asked in regards to Muay-Thai.

The bottom line is when there are multiple attackers all bets are off. They don't want a fair fight so the best thing you can do is get the hell out of there because they'll likely do anything they can to win.

Now if you have no choice whatsoever and you are forced to fight multiple guys I would not personally bring the fight to the ground. I would try and keep it standing and look for a quick "out". Given the situation if the fight was forced to the ground I would try to end the first guys fight quickly with a very quick and devestating sub that would break an arm or leg, which might help to discourage the other guy...at the very least it would give you time to get back to your feet. I would only look for top position, which would give me an easy way to get back up. If I got stuck holding guard I would try to use the guy in my guard as a shield as best I could against the strikes of the other guy...if you have a descent guard it's not hard to move someone's body and use it as a shield.

There are things you can do and you can make BJJ effective on the streets without doubt. When you start talking about multiple attackers no matter what style of martial art you do there isn't much guarantee.

One thing that I can add that is great about BJJ is that if you don't want to fight on the ground like in this given situation, you won't find many guys that are better at getting up than grapplers. Most grapplers spend so much time on the mat that they get really good at getting back to their feet...especially wrestlers and Judo guys.

#18 ·
That's exactly what I'm saying. I honestly don't see how someone who trains as hard as I know I do can just go and start a fight with someone. I leave it all on the mat so I'm not concerned about starting street fights.

Just for example we were out at a club this weekend. One of the bouncers there called my wife a name thinking I couldn't hear him I guess. I could have walked over there and just started beating his ass sure, but I didn't. I walked over there and told him I heard what he said and that all I wanted was for him to go and apologize to my wife, otherwise I was gonna have to bring him out in the street and beat that ass. He went and apologized to my wife and when the cab came pick us up he even came out and opened the door for her. :confused02:

#19 ·
Exactly. Like with me i would rather try and settle something verbally then physically. I mean if you train non stop like I do. About 5 times a week and then running on sundays you know you can physically beat someone up. Like it would be easy. But i mean think about something before you do it. :thumb03:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.