MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Muay Thai or TKD

View Single Post

Old 10-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #245 (permalink)
jasvll
Super Heavyweight

jasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklistShaun View Post
Dan Hardy did do TKD no argument there, but he switched and started training Muay Thai and using that as his striking base. If TKD was so good why would he switch to Muay-Thai??
Read his own comments on TKD again if you need to. I can't speak for him.

Quote:
Mike Swick trains out of American Kickboxing Academy which does BJJ, Judo, and kickboxing. As far as I’m aware there is no one there teaching TKD. If you know of a TKD instructor that is teaching TKD at AKA then please share your information.
You seem to be moving the goalpost here. Swick has a TKD background, as I said. I did not say he trained TKD instead of MMA today.

Quote:
Ben Henderson is a wrestler. He does have a black belt in TKD, but that’s not that hard since most schools pretty much give them out. If you go look at where he trains and how he trains he relies on his wrestling more than anything.
Again, not particularly relevant to what you asked for. Henderson has a TKD background, and both he and announcers have acknowledged the difference in his kicks and footwork due to that training.

Quote:
So you are saying that the guys who do compete in combat sports, in front of crowds, for money are less dedicated to martial arts than people who don’t? I would think just the opposite actually…
I certainly didn't say that. I did however, acknowledge the stigma that exists in traditional martial arts and its role in keeping the best representatives of those art from professional fighting. Acknowledging something isn't agreeing with it.

Quote:
I have been to many TKD schools and most of them didn’t want any of their students competing anywhere. A couple of them told me they didn’t want them competing against any other martial art except TKD
Yes, that's what I said was the case.
Quote:
so I lied and told them I had done TKD before.
Are you lying now?
Quote:
In all cases of those schools I found out real fast why they didn’t not want them going out competing, especially against other martial arts…because they would have immediately left and went elsewhere. As a matter of fact there was one school I went too that was issued an invitation to a local Shotokan Karate club tournament. The instructor at the TKD school told his students that anyone who went would be kicked out…I wondered why. A few of the students didn’t care and went anyhow…they got their asses handed to them.
Obviously, no TKD schools or practitioners could ever be any different than what you, personally, have experienced, so forget everything I've said.

Quote:
I’m not trying to say that all schools that tell you not to compete suck, but a lot of them don’t want people competing for the strict fact that they want to retain students and keep them from going to better schools/arts.
I believe I acknowledged that element in my first comment a few posts back.

Quote:
You were at a TKD school that was certified by American Top Team??? I am going to have to call b.s. on that my friend. What was the name of the school and I’ll ask Liborio personally if the school was certified under ATT.
It seems there are currently 8 ATT certified TKD schools. I can only vouch for Southeast Texas TKD, though:
http://www.americantopteam.com/locations.php
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.

Last edited by jasvll : 10-30-2009 at 12:50 PM.
jasvll is offline   Reply With Quote