MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - The boxing guard, is it overrated?

View Single Post

Old 11-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ninjadude
MMA Fanatic

Ninjadude has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The boxing guard, is it overrated?

Do you guys remember Liddel against Ortiz, when Liddel sent a barrage of punches to an Ortiz who was trying to protect himself, and sent him to the mat?

It is known already that boxing with 16 onces gloves and 4 onces gloves is not the same. Its not so much the attack that is different, but more the defense. Well, big gloves offer defense because they have size and are like cushions. Also, its easier to block a big glove form coming in, because of its size mainly. With 4 onces gloves who don't offer protection, the punches just sneek in the boxing guard easily, and the fist coming in is smaller too...

So why do the MMA guys keep practicing American boxing? I see it all the time, how the boxing defense fails MMA fighters in the cage...

I'm thinking to myself why don't MMA fighters use the chinese boxing approach more. I remember when I was practicing wing-chung, all those blocks and sticky hands techniques... They were effective.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Ninjadude : 11-01-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Ninjadude is offline   Reply With Quote