Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who is the best TUF coach so far and why?

3K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  Ramp36 
#1 ·
Just an opinion thing after all, I just wondered if people saw this in the same kind of way as me when you guys watched the shows so far.

Both Randy and Chuck were great, very supportive, dealt with the whole Kos/Leben debacle very well, came off great.

Franklin was a really supportive nurturing guy, Matt Hughes had less patience - he basically couldn't get his head around the idea of anyone not having the same work ethic as him. Franklin came off better personality wise on season 2.

Then... oh man, there were Tito & Ken. I still to this day chuckle to think that Ken brought a bodybuilding coach rather than a BJJ guy. Tito owned this - he got the respect of his team by leading by example and getting them in the fittest shape possible - the same ethic he works to himself. Ken wasn't really a natural choice for a coach. Maybe he takes time off to go shoot golf or whatever, but it wasn't exactly appropriate and explains why his team got owned for the most part.

I love Randy - he is just Captain America, you know? Franklin was an amazing coach, as was Tito. I guess Tito wins it for me for the sheer amount of punishment he put them through to get them ready. It kind of showed he cared and I like that.

Who did you think did a great job and why?

See less See more
#2 ·
- Tito Ortiz
- Rich Franklin
- Randy Couture

Those 3 stood out in my mind. Randy will do another great job on Season 4. What can you say though....the man's a f'n legend. Will always have my respect.

#3 ·
I think most people feel the same way. I was kind of annoyed about season 2 because it completely flipped my previous perceptions of Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin. I used to love Matt and find Rich irritating (think it's because he looks a little too much Jim Carrey for my liking) but TUF totally reversed all that. Rich is a decent guy whom I had misjudged, while I actually found Matt really annoying most of the time.

#4 ·
teampunishment.50web said:
it completely flipped my previous perceptions of Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin. I used to love Matt and find Rich irritating but TUF totally reversed all that. Rich is a decent guy whom I had misjudged, while I actually found Matt really annoying most of the time.
Damn straight!!!!! I feel EXACTLY the same way about Hughes and Franklin. If anything, I think what's most interesting about TUF is its coaches and getting to know the person behind the gloves. I lost sooooooooo much respect for Matt Hughes after TUF 2. Hands down - Tito Ortiz was the best coach, of course I'm sure seeing his efforts next to Ken's for a whole season made him look even better. Definatly Tito all the way, Couture was a close second in my mind.

P.S. Did anyone else also get their view on Tito flipped after watching TUF 3?
I went from hating the guy to having maaaaaaad respect for him. TITO'S DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 ·
Yeah same as. I made a fansite for the guy, have so much more love for him now. I always rated him for what he does, but I always misjudged him as a human being and it gave him a chance to show the 'real' person when he's not just talking smack at a press conference and trying to rile people up.

I think the show did ALOT for the return of Tito.

#6 ·
I have to say Tito too. He pushed the guys hard but was right there working with them. His whole coaching style/approach was outstanding. Ken was obvoiusly not cut out to coach. I can't remember exactly but in one of the clips Dana White actually makes a direct comment about Ken's coaching abilities...nailed it right on the head...something along the lines of Ken just singed on to be a coach thinking all he would have to do is show up.

Then I guess Randy would be my next pick. Looking forward to seeing him in the next one. (Not sure how I feel about the new 'format', but we'll see.)

#9 ·
putmeonhold said:
Damn straight!!!!! I feel EXACTLY the same way about Hughes and Franklin. If anything, I think what's most interesting about TUF is its coaches and getting to know the person behind the gloves. I lost sooooooooo much respect for Matt Hughes after TUF 2. Hands down - Tito Ortiz was the best coach, of course I'm sure seeing his efforts next to Ken's for a whole season made him look even better. Definatly Tito all the way, Couture was a close second in my mind.

I went from hating the guy to having maaaaaaad respect for him. TITO'S DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol i agree 100% with ur reply, kewl, i used to hate tito till i saw him on tuf3, thats the only reason, naahhh actually one of the reasons i watch it, so u get to see the fighters up close and personal

#10 ·
rana said:
lol i agree 100% with ur reply, kewl, i used to hate tito till i saw him on tuf3, thats the only reason, naahhh actually one of the reasons i watch it, so u get to see the fighters up close and personal
I still don't like Tito.. great fighter good coach.. He still needs to grow up a little..

#11 ·
putmeonhold said:
I know I did. I've never been a Tito fan, but after watching the scant clippings from TUF 3, I definitely hold a lot more respect for the guy. It's also the reason why I didn't feel bad at all that he beatdown Ken in such quick fashion.

#12 ·
Tito seems to play quite a bit to the cameras. The flipping off of Shamrock being a huge booster for him to get people talking about him. He has said it isn't about the money now it is more about the title and his legacy.

Do you feel the show was really him or did he see it as the perfect marketing tool? It definitely has people talking about him and changing their opinion.

#14 ·
Ramp36 said:
Tito seems to play quite a bit to the cameras. The flipping off of Shamrock being a huge booster for him to get people talking about him. He has said it isn't about the money now it is more about the title and his legacy.

Do you feel the show was really him or did he see it as the perfect marketing tool? It definitely has people talking about him and changing their opinion.
It was set up to highlight the rivalry, Tito was just a better coach for the physical side of things and had a better awareness of what the show could do for him. They got to see him as a person rather than when he is hyped up trying to get a reaction from an opponent. He wasn't what I thought and it did him a great amount of help in terms of his career, fanbase, and also for future acting projects.

#21 ·
Its hard to say honestly, because we look at what Tito did, but tito's fighters only fought shamrocks fighters who didn't work out at all, but im still going to give it to tito.

I personally didn't like em before and changed my mind like you all.

Couture
Tito
Ace

Thats my order, Tito lacks the major thing couture has, the overall experience. And if you try and tell me that Tito has more experience then Couture then you probably didn't watch the Liddell Vs Tito match, because he was an IDIOT for trying to strike against Liddell. I also think Tito's success came alot from Dean and Sal, they both have amazing knowledge in there fields.

#22 ·
u cant really judje these guys by the show, so much is edited to make one guy look better then the other. im not saying tito and such are bad coach's just that t.v. is capable of making anything one sided

#23 ·
teampunishment said:
I think most people feel the same way. I was kind of annoyed about season 2 because it completely flipped my previous perceptions of Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin. I used to love Matt and find Rich irritating (think it's because he looks a little too much Jim Carrey for my liking) but TUF totally reversed all that. Rich is a decent guy whom I had misjudged, while I actually found Matt really annoying most of the time.

lol I always tell people that Franklin looks like Jim Carrey but no one ever seems to think so. Anyway i agree and the same thing happend to me when i watched TUF3 i use to think shamrock was alright and that Ortiz was just a loud mouthed jerk but now its a complete reversal for me. Ortiz was an amazing coach I think he was the best out of all 3 seasons.

#25 ·
Hughes isn't so bad...

HI Guys, I'm new to the forum but not all that new to watching UFC. I really enjoyed reading all of your comments on who you think is the top TUF coach.

I do have to say though, I actually thought Matt Hughes was a good coach, but I really just think it depends on what style of learning you have. Matt Hughes has a very direct and agressive style of leadership that not every fighter was responsive too. I personally respond better to the style of leadership that Matt Hughes has, it makes me work harder and he really makes you earn your bragging rights, he does not allow you to accept anything but 100% ALL the time.

Where Rich Franklin had a more particpative approach to his coaching style that many of the fighters responded to well. Does this make him a better coach than Matt? Only in the sense that more fighters responded to him, but he was not necessarily the 'better' coach in regards to technique, knowledge, training, etc.

I was thinking, Perhaps Tito is favored by most people because he was sort of a mix between Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin. The aggressiveness, knows how to push buttons, accepts nothing less that 100%, yet is sincere, approachable and very talented and allows downtime.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch much of TUF 1 so i dont' know much about Randy and Chuck. and Ken...we wont' even go there.

Thanks for listening...
Kerz :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.