Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

BS finish

7K views 83 replies 52 participants last post by  DanTheJu 
#1 ·
If the 2 elbows were illegal, they hit on the jaw and side of the head.
Matt Hamill was already toast and those 2 elbows weren't the cause. Jones won the fight and got it taken away.

#48 ·
Know the rules and follow them. Its not like this "loss" will really hurt jones, we all know he destroyed hamill. Plus hamill got robbed before so I guess this was making it a little even for him. But really, he got destroyed in that fight. Jones is damn good for a 22 year old kid.

Hypetrain = not derailed.........yet.

Reactions: dudeabides
#52 ·
I agree Jones was tooling him leading up to those elbows and all the "illegal" elbows did was put the icing on the cake..however its a rule that he broke 3 times in 3 seconds so obviously it has to be a No Contest...I am not saying I like it but those are the rules. Hammill looked dead right after Steve pulled Bones off though, anyone else agree?

#53 ·
Jon Jones completely dominated this fight but those blows were definetly illegal no doubt about it. But you can't blame Hammill about the stoppage whatsoever, it seemed as though when he was talking he didnt even know they were illegal blows, hell it didnt even seem he knew he won the fight. The guy cant even hear I dont think he knew exactly what was goin on, seemed he thought it was stopped cause of his shoulder.

#54 ·
I knew there'd be some stupid JBJ nuthuggers bitching about this stoppage.

Jones and Hamill were landing about the same amount of shots standing. Jones took Hamill down and mounted him. He wasn't able to inflict punishing blows (and baited the ref - dirtbag move) so he did two illegal moves. The two illegal moves were the direct reason that Hamill couldn't go on.

Totally straight-cut DQ, no arguments, end of story.

#59 ·
your always rude... calling ppl stupid now for their opinion?? On top of being delusional... your saying Hamill was getting anything on the exchanges?? LOL you just cant admit when your wrong and go into delusional childish silly excuse mode, are you related to Tito perhaps?? Lol im sure Tito will tell ya he was getting even in the exchanges with Forrest in round 3.... LOL @ you saying the stand up was even... yea if getting punched and kicked in the face 10x for every attempted punch is even.... check the fight stats too... lemme guess those are fake too right?? lol

Lol yea you said the JBJ "Hype train" was gonna get derailed and he would be "exposed".... guess he was exposed... exposed as alot better then Matt Hamill

So straight cut DQ huh?? Too bad MH was out long before those elbows and only Mazz the Moron would not stop that fight once he was mounted and not defending himself or trying to get Jones off while taking a flurry of head shots.

Reactions: EbonGear
#55 ·
It is a bullshit rule and should be changed. If you go by the rule, it was illegal. However, the only reason the fight was stopped is because Hammil's shoulder was messed up and he had been beat up on the ground. He said he couldn't continue not because of the 12-6 elbows, but because he had had his ass handed to him.

It is total crap, but then again so is the rule. If you really have a problem with it, send a letter the the athletic commissions telling them how crappy the rule is. I know I will be because I believe that it is total crap and always has been.

#60 ·
As far as I know there isn't a single rule in all of MMA that is as confusing as the downwards elbow rule. It's been discussed several times on this board when it applies and when it doesn't. The last time if I remember correctly, the consensus at the end was that it apparently means downwards elbows to the top of the head from the standing position, such as the MT flying elbow. Now it seems that we were wrong, and I'm more confused than before.

So Jones got a DQ loss, big deal. Every single person who saw the fight still knows:
1. ...that there wouldn't have been any illegal elbows if Mazz had known when to stop the fight.
2. ...that the illegal elbows didn't end the fight.
3. ...that Jones was by far the better fighter yesterday.

#61 ·
Those elbows shouldn't be illegal. What's the difference between dropping elbows from 12 to 6 compare to throwing elbows from your back to the top of someone's head from 3 to 9? That's what was happening in the fight right after Jones' and those are allowed. It's not like gravity is adding any power to the elbows when they are coming down instead of sideways.

#73 ·
Its a lot more dangerous coming down ala spiking compared to 3-9 elbows. Spiking from the mount is the worst- you can generate too much force. Thats 1 rule I agree with except the UFC doesnt seem to clarify what elbows from what angles positions etc, are exceptable. As far as people saying BS, thats ridiculous, Jones knew what he was doing if he would have foot stomped his head or kneed his face I guess that would be ok too. Face it Jones is only on his way up the ladder after his awesome performance last night but he does need to control himself. Baiting the ref was cheap and those elbows were blatant..

#62 ·
Anyone remember james irvin vs thiago silva, if memory serves me thiago kneed irvin when he was still on the ground was that not intentional? why was thiago awarded the win in that incident? this jones thing is just another in a long line of iffy calls made in this sport recently

#71 ·
because he lost, he showed inexperience in the ring and the rules you must follow while inside them he should not be rewarded for this. he did do a good fight and has the skills to move up but he should not for this could be looked down upon by lots of people that a guy would move up the leaderboards even though his last fight he won by illegal blows to an opponent

#74 ·
Man no way is he gonna get a step down in competition for his next fight. Yah he lost and I do agree with the decision illegal blows like that require a DQ and he should have known that, but Dana watched the fight and he knows it was a dominant performance by Jon Jones no doubt about it. He is definetly going to be fighting toughter competition next and you know he is going to be asking for it.

#76 ·
I would have been pissed off if he hadn't been DQ'd TBH. Hamill was being dominated for sure, but he was doing a good job at defending himself. The fact that Jones kept looking at the referee to stop the fight when Hamill was clearly okay, indicates to me that he was getting tired and was worried that Hamill was still in the fight. IMO his inexperience caused him to panick which resulted in the illegal elbows. I also think there were more like 4 or 5 illegal elbows one hitting Hamill square on the bridge of the nose, rather than the 1 or 2 glancing blows some people on here are suggesting.

If there hadn't been any fouls then Jones would probably have still won. However, Hamill is a tough SOB and nobody can say for sure that he couldn't have got back in the fight. All of this is redundant though as the rules are very clear. If you finish your opponent with an illegal strike then you're DQ'd. Period.

#77 ·
Im really surprised so many people think it should have been a no contest, there is abosolutly no excuse to step into a cage which is already a dangerous environment without knowing the rules, it is completely inexcusable and to be honest a NC does not make a suiting punishment, Hammill may not have deserved the win but Jones definatly deserves the loss which even that is not a strong enough punishment IMO for being so careless. Jones showed alot like Rumble did in his fight with Kos (knee to the head of a clearly downed Kos) that these young guys are not taking the rules seriously enough and the punishments IMO are gonna have to get stricter to make sure fighters have no excuses.

#78 ·
I really feel the fight was already over, should have been stopped way before it.

And unless he dislocated his shoulder, which I am assuming why he didn't continue the fight, because of the elbows then I can't see how he can be DQ'd.

I'm not arguing against the moves being illegal, the rules clearly state they are for whatever their daft reason, but they did not seem to me to be why the fight was finished, a point should of been taken away if Matt continued the fight but Matt couldn't continue because of his shoulder which had nothing to do with the elbows. If the fight was finished as a direct result of the elbows then I would have no quarrel witht his decision.

Either way rally impressed with Bones, awesome display of talent.

#80 · (Edited)
no, you are wrong... the elbows didnt finish him and cause him to say he wouldnt continue, the dislocated shoulder did... get the facts straight.

That's why after the fight MH only talked about his shoulder, not the elbows making him unable to continue.... Mazz f'd up on so many levels it's a joke and im sorry if you think staying mounted and taking punishment and just covering up and not tryin to get out of the position is "intelligently defending yourself" but in my eyes its a recipe to get serious damage, if you are mounted for an extended period and all you are doing is covering up the fight needs to be stopped. MH says the reason was he was defending with one arm... so even in his own mind he knew he was in deep trouble and not getting out of that position... so i dont know how his fanboys can say he had a shot in hell when he realized himself he didnt.

lol @ jones getting frustrated and gassed.... he was dominating and imposing his will the entire fight and was in a comfort zone. MH was the one wanting to give up ASAP and it had nothing to do with the elbows.

I guess a guy flaying around mounted defending with one arm, doing nothing but covering up and taking punishment is intelligent as hell.

Reactions: Hawndo
#81 ·
jones dominated the fight. hamlin was still defending and trying to improve (grabs for the head, hands still up etc...). you could see jones getting frustrated when he kept turning to the ref for a stoppage even goldie or rogan commented your not gonna get a trick stoppage with that.

its just funny how many people are quick to critize the refs when they themselves don't even know the rules :confused02:

#83 ·
to make the situation even more Mazz comical is that MH is deaf and all Steve asked him was "can you continue??".... im not entirely sure MH knew Steve was asking about the elbows and not something else or if he even had any idea what was going on at the time. I think he thought he was throwing in the towel because of his shoulder. Pretty Epic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.