MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - UFC pay scale reminds me of the CFL

View Single Post

Old 12-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
bazmagoo
Amatuer

bazmagoo is an unknown quantity at this pointbazmagoo is an unknown quantity at this pointbazmagoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Ppv

Only a small percentage of fighters get a cut of the pay-per-view. Couture, Liddell, Ortiz to name a few (how much is Dana getting screwed by Ortiz, haha).

They do, however, make a large amount of money of sponsorships. I don't know exactly how much, but I would imagine it could be about twice as much as their disclosed purse. Again this more than likely depends on the fighter, whether they are the main event or even on the pay-per-view at all, and whether or not they put their shirt on when the decision is announced, lol.

In my opinion the UFC has both been exceptionally smart with their business and somewhat lucky with the timing. They are going to milk it for all it's worth, and why wouldn't they? They are the brand, not the fighters. It will take a Strikeforce or two or three legitimate competitors before pay for the fighters starts to rise to where it should be. Either that or an organized fighters union, which while most fighters would go for Dana would stomp out in a heartbeat.

In the meantime, fighters will do whatever they can to fight for the UFC knowing that putting some gauky Affliction shirt on after they win or lose will earn them $20000. It's a shame because it reduces the legitimacy of the sport in my opinion.

Last edited by bazmagoo : 12-08-2009 at 08:49 PM.
bazmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote