MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - argument over elbows
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Onganju
Actually... The OP asks 3 questions.

1) He asks whether they are effective. I say they are, but I do agree that most knock outs don't come from elbows. I openly state: "Statistically speaking, most KOs in MT matches come from Punches followed by High Kicks."

2) He asks whether they are used just to open cuts. I simply state that good elbow are more likely to open cuts.

3) He asks where they are most effective. I simply state in the clinch and on the ground. I don't think there's any argument against that. I'm not going to tell anyone to open their fights with a step-in or spinning elbow strike.

The other details is just me trying to add relevant information.
quote: jamlena:GnP, and opening cuts, I agree with your instructor, it's rare to see knockouts via elbows although it does happen from time to time, but they are more effective in helping set-up other strikes and submissions.
Onganju, great points and in my first response I agreed with all of them (see above), I was simply stating that strike for strike, elbows just are not in the same class as punches and kicks for pure Knockout effectiveness.

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Favorite Fighters:

Chuck Liddell
Rich Franklin
Diego Sanchez
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome