MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Was BJ right is Diego an over achiever ?

View Single Post

Old 12-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
tlilly
Flyweight

tlilly Is Beloved By Alltlilly Is Beloved By Alltlilly Is Beloved By Alltlilly Is Beloved By Alltlilly Is Beloved By Alltlilly Is Beloved By Alltlilly Is Beloved By Alltlilly Is Beloved By Alltlilly Is Beloved By Alltlilly Is Beloved By Alltlilly Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Hmmm, I don't know what to make of BJ Penn's statements. On the one hand he quite right - The mental aspect of Diego Sanchez is stronger than his skills. On the other hand, you could argue that in order to even be an MMA fighter you have to start by being a tenacious mofo. Therefore, that could be applied to anyone, including Penn.

Thing is though, Diego will have been the biggest and most unrelenting 155er he has faced in quite a long time. It's good for him that he is on underestimating Sancheza, but if it goes to the later rounds, Penn better be on his toes because that's when Sanchez is likely to be most dangerous.

I would agree with Toxic that his striking isn't amazing. I would say it's decent, but nothing to write home about. His wrestling is good and his BJJ is decent as well. All in all he is a pretty well rounded fighter but doesn't have any specific devasting technique that should bother Penn too much. In that respect he is sort of like a LW version of Forrest Griffin.
i'd almost say he's a lightweight version of Nate Marquardt, good at most things but not amazing in anything.
tlilly is offline   Reply With Quote