Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

looking to bulk up to 155 (pics)

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  EC_Raider_07 
#1 · (Edited)
hey guys,

so im looking to bulk till about the end of may or so. im 140ish right now and my goal is 155. there are a lot more fight oppurtunities at that weight in my area.. here's some now pics:

so, im hoping for 4 solid months of bulking and then i'll start cutting for the summer (topless) months :laugh:

you guys think i can make 155?

See less See more
#2 ·
you can definitely make it. i'm in college and at the start of second semester (late january) last year i weighed 162. by the end of the semester (mid-may) i got up to 174. so i got close to the gain you're looking for. i lifted 5 days a week and just made sure i ate a sh*t ton of food. but yeah man...

you can do anything you put your mind to. :laugh:

how tall are you by the way?

#5 ·
i suppose you mean when im fighting?

well...yea, pretty much hahaha. i make up for being a bit smaller by pushing the pace relentlessly.

doesnt matter how much bigger you are then me, i will push and push until i get you to the ground and, most of the time, choke you. :laugh:

i feel like my cardio is good enough to keep up a pretty good pace for 3 rnds, but the longest ive gone is about half way through the second...so im not really positive.

if there's a ***** i guess its that i probably would gas in the last rnd from pushing the pace so hard in the first two.

#7 ·
i train bjj w/ jeff joslin 4 months outta the year, so yea, my bjj would be my strong point. i do train quite a bit on my feet. im not as technical as id like to be, but once again, i keep a very hectic pace so i do catch guys fairly often with some heavy shots.

#10 ·
I'm 180 and will be cutting down to 155. =P

But it's fairly easy to bulk up. Lift and eat a lot. But, make sure you're eating healthy and continue your cardio training.

#11 ·
If you want to gain 15 pounds of muscle its not hat hard to do. YOu look to be in decent shape already so you must at least know the basics. I'd suggest doubling your protien intake and do not stop your cardio but cut it down some. I assume you want this to be mostly muscle weight. Also eat lots of veggies of all colors. Start eating at least 6 high protien meals a day. it also looks like you do not have to worry about body fat at the moment but still avoid foods and products labeled low fat or fat free.. to make these products like that they stip alot of the nutrients your body needs. keep an eye on your body fat % if it starts to raise more then 3-4% kick up your cardo higher. Also hit the gym like every other day and focus on different areas each day, though give about 3 days rest between working out each body part, sufficent rest to the muscle group will allow for faster gains.

As for the guy who said he wants to drop weight you really need to be careful. remember muscle weighs more then fat. So keeping track of your body fat % is important.. if it is high you want to do lots of cardio and a good weight training regimine also eat at least 5 high protien meals . Muscle is the only part of the body that burns fat. and it only does it during cardio workouts.

And for both of you you still need carbs just avoid the high fat cards like white breads and such. they make good taste "White" wheat breads and such now. also try to drink close to a gallon of water a day.

Hope this info helps.

#12 ·
The Don said:
If you want to gain 15 pounds of muscle its not hat hard to do. YOu look to be in decent shape already so you must at least know the basics. I'd suggest doubling your protien intake and do not stop your cardio but cut it down some. I assume you want this to be mostly muscle weight. Also eat lots of veggies of all colors. Start eating at least 6 high protien meals a day. it also looks like you do not have to worry about body fat at the moment but still avoid foods and products labeled low fat or fat free.. to make these products like that they stip alot of the nutrients your body needs. keep an eye on your body fat % if it starts to raise more then 3-4% kick up your cardo higher. Also hit the gym like every other day and focus on different areas each day, though give about 3 days rest between working out each body part, sufficent rest to the muscle group will allow for faster gains.

As for the guy who said he wants to drop weight you really need to be careful. remember muscle weighs more then fat. So keeping track of your body fat % is important.. if it is high you want to do lots of cardio and a good weight training regimine also eat at least 5 high protien meals . Muscle is the only part of the body that burns fat. and it only does it during cardio workouts.

And for both of you you still need carbs just avoid the high fat cards like white breads and such. they make good taste "White" wheat breads and such now. also try to drink close to a gallon of water a day.

Hope this info helps.
I'm going to be following Rippetoe's 3 day/ week program. It's really well known over at bodybuilding.com forums as the best bulking program for relative beginners.

We'll see how it goes :) Thanks for the advice tho Don, and pauly...grow up.

#13 ·
anton said:
I'm going to be following Rippetoe's 3 day/ week program. It's really well known over at bodybuilding.com forums as the best bulking program for relative beginners.

We'll see how it goes :) Thanks for the advice tho Don, and pauly...grow up.
Yea I heard that one is pretty good I have not ued it myself but I think that is designed more for size not functional strength which is what your looking for being a fighter. Let me make 2 suggestions one more tradationa the other well different...
1) a program I used and had excellent success on. Body for LIFE by Bill Phillips. I dropped 47 pounds of fat and gained about 26 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks. Minds you this is a 6 day a week program and I was pusing it to the max. Plus I had the help of a Personal trainer ( for free) and a dietician (myself) so my results were a little more extreme then average but it does give excellent results.
2) and this may sound odd. But find a gymnastics school. Talk to one of the coaches and ask if they can teach you thier body weight resistence techniques. They are not easy and you will need help but they work.

But for a fighter I would be a little leary of what you get off a body building sight as those guys are looking more for size not felxible and functional strength. And it it helps I am currently working on becomeing a personal trainer myself and as I stated I wa a dietician when I was in the Military.

#14 ·
The Don said:

Hope this info helps.
Actually, there is a such thing as too much protien.Your body can only break down about 20-30 grams of protien at a time and convert them to amino acids.

And I put on fat and muscle, it's not like I'll be bruning all muscle when I cut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.