Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

could GSP get down to 155?

4K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  DrHouse 
#1 ·
He'd be one skinny dude, but I think he'd only be dropping about 30 from his walk-around weight.

If Penn is stuck on a rematch, maybe GSP should come to him this time. Don't know if he'd want to do that, but I think it's theoretically possible and it would give GSP a chance to hold belts in 2 weight classes.

#6 ·
If Rumble can make 170 from 220, GSP could make LW. From what I understand, he only drops about 15 or 20 to make weight. That's one reason he's not comfortable going up to 185. I think he could do LW, it's just a matter of planning. I'd rather see that then Penn plumping up again.

#7 ·
I think GSP said himself his only like 187 or something around there. I remember Joe Rogan saying he walks around at like 200 which i dunno i could see it cuz he is a huge welterweight but id rather go with GSP on this one. Anyway no way his making 155... Too much muscle he would have to lose and what does he gain from it anyway?? Id rather he goes to Middle Weight then LightWeight.

#9 ·
Actually, he'd just have to do some major dehydrating. He's not a small WW, but not a huge one either. He's small compared to some of the bigger ones. I don't think it would be easy, but by no means impossible. I don't think he dehydrates much at all before fights.

I think he'd basically look like a smaller version of Vera at LHW.

#12 ·
just cuase he only drops 15 ish pounds to make weight does not mean that he could make lightweight, you cant compare him and johnson. Johnson may weight 220 but also has more fat and more general mass on him. GSP's natural weight may be 187, but thats still a verty low bf% he would not be able to make light weight. end of story.

#20 ·
I think alot of people are mistaken GSP has said he walks into the cage at 185 pounds, Im quite sure that he walks around heavier than that.

#21 ·
I doubt it. He has stated many times that he is not a big WW, he has also stated that he is not used to cutting weight, and does not like doing it. I also doubt he is ever out of shape during the off season... so I'd be willing to bet he walks around at 185-187, like he says.

GSP is not like the typical fighter who has an off-season, then does a 8 week camp to get in shape, ya know?

First link after googling "Georges St Pierre weight:"

MMANews.com: Oh 205 would just be insane. What weight do you walk around at?

Georges St. Pierre: I walk around at 185. But if I have to fight, for example, in a higher weight class - I'm going to have a program. A weight program. I'm going to lift weights, I'm going to find a way to get a little bit bigger. I would never be able to be as big as, for example, Chuck Liddell because first I don't want to take steroids and stuff like that. I'm always natural and I hate like ...I know a lot of people use that, but me I'm not that kind of guy. I prefer to stay healthy all my life than having a title. You know what I'm saying because nothing can buy health. So I will find a way to do it and I'm up to the challenge.
Source

#27 ·
actually GSP has stated before that his walk around weight is 185-187 and that he actually looks bigger than he is. He mentioned this because after the thiago fight where thiago outweighed GSP by about 20 lbs. he decided to hire a nutritionist to gain some lean muscle mass. Since then he has said that his walk around weight is now at 195-197.

that being said There is No way GSP is going to go down to 155. If anything he is preparing his body to possibly move up to middleweight or a possible showdown with a. silva

#29 ·
This whole thing would be silly anyway you look at it. Why would GSP move down to fight one guy? Especially one that he has beaten twice. GSP can cut to 155 once his fighting career is over but its pointless now, he belongs at 170 for good. This is how a guy fits into his proper weight class, fighting at or just under his average weight and not dehrydrated like prunes as you see in fighters like Vera and AJ.

#31 ·
Not a good contribution, you didn't have to open the thread.

Based on they way his body looks at WW, the a better chance of him moving up than down. As people in this thread have stated, there is talk of GSP making a move to MW. I do not know how accurate these statements are as I have not heard or looked into it yet. I would like to see him go to MW!:thumbsup:

#37 ·
I don't think so, he wouldn't be as strong, but I think that he is just a better fighter than Penn. His stand up is much more versatile, his wrestling technique is incredible, and he has a very good ground game. Keep in mind this is hypothetical speculation. I don't think GSP could ever make weight. I just think that GSP is a better fighter.

Just my opinion :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.