Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Saunders & Kampmann agree to fight at 111

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  The Horticulturist 
#1 ·
A welterweight bout between Ben Saunders and Martin Kampmann has been verbally agreed upon for UFC 111 in March according to a report on MMAWeekly.com.

Saunders (8-1-2) is coming off an impressive first round knockout win over Marcus Davis at UFC 106: "Ortiz vs. Griffin 2" in November. Prior to the win, he suffered his first career and UFC loss against Mike Swick at UFC 99 in June. The American Top Team product sports a 4-1 UFC record, putting together wins in his first three UFC contests against Daniel Barrera, Ryan Thomas and Brandon Wolff.

The Ultimate Fighter 6 cast member has been competing professionally for five-years, while fighting for other notable promotions such as Absolute Fighting Championships and Combat Fighting Championships. "Killa B" has finished all but one of his eight career wins.

Kampmann (16-3) is fresh off of a first round submission win over Jacob Volkmann at UFC 108 on Jan. 2 and is now 3-1 in his last four bouts. His lone loss over that span came in his previous fight against Paul Daley at UFC 103, which was his first loss since dropping down to the welterweight division. The Xtreme Couture product is 7-2 in nine appearances with the UFC, with other notable Octagon victories coming over Thales Leites, Drew McFedries, Jorge Rivera and Carlos Condit.

Kampmann, who is a Cage Warriors Fighting Championships and King of the Cage veteran, has scored stoppages in 13 of his 16 career wins and holds other notable wins in his nearly seven-year career over Xavier Foupa-Pokam, Brendan Seguin and Edwin Aguilar.

UFC 111 is set for March 27 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., and the event's main card will televised live on pay-per-view. The event will be headlined by a UFC welterweight title bout between champion Georges St. Pierre and challenger Dan Hardy. In addition, Frank Mir and Shane Carwin will battle it out for the interim heavyweight title.
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10481&zoneid=13

#6 ·
I like this fight. Saunders looked good, especially with the clinch in his last fight, while Kampmann rebounded nicely from his loss to Daley with a nice sub over Volkmann. I think that Kampmann's loss to Daley, in the words of Rogan, was the best thing that could have happened to him and he should send Killa B to his second loss.

#7 ·
This is a good matchup.

Saunders looked good against Davis, who is usually a tough opponent for anyone but I think he'd struggle against the more powerful wrestlers and strikers of the WW division. I'll definately be rooting for him all the same.

Kampmann hasn't really impressed me of late, his last win was a solid enough performance but Volkmann didn't really have much to offer. I'd definately say Kampmann is more well rounded than Saunders but he likes to fight at his own pace and often folds under pressure.

I'd say Kampmann takes it as he has more tools but Saunders is just the sort of fighter to put him under pressure and bring the fight to him. Kampmann via decision.

#11 ·
2 better fights than the originally scheduled one AFAIC. I rate Ellenberger highly after his last performance, and I expect him to put up a good fight against Saunders. As for Kampmann, Thiago is going to be a real tough fight for him. I'd have thought he'd have wanted someone slightly below the top tier to fight after the Daley KO, guess not. Should be 2 good fights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.