Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Chuck Liddell : can he stand against a striker?

3K views 55 replies 32 participants last post by  Stapler 
#1 ·
He hasnt fought any striker since rampage(except vernom white i guess), and in the eventual fight against rampage or any other strikers, could he really dominate them or has he been protected for a while?

#3 ·
He wouldnt look nearly as dominant against another striker. But he has his crazy power to rely on. Whatch his fights with Overeem and Mezger. He is clearly losing those fights before landing the big shot. But that being said, Chuck is dangerous against anyone.

#4 ·
i think any striker would give chuck problems as striking is all he really has to rely on, chucks entire gameplan seems to be just stand and hope to catch them with a big punch, and usually he does. but against another striker, that feat is alot harder to accomplish as they can just stand outside picking him apart, just as long as they don't get over aggressive and walk right into that big punch.

how would chuck have to combat this? he would have to start throwing kicks so the other guy has one more thing to look out for, its easy for your above average striker to pick a guy apart if all they do is throw punchs.

#5 ·
This is teh big concern with Chuck...Rampage's chin is really good so it may be impossible for Chuck to win that fight.

But then look @ his first fight vs Randy...it looked liek Chuck had no hope and would never beat randy. I mean randy outstruck him put him to the mat, much like vs rampage.

BUt after that Chuck has never lost, so I ask did Chuck get better and will that carry over vs Rampage? Or is chuck the same and he happened to catch the punch on randy the next two times?

#6 ·
his style is whats making a matchup with a good striker scary. he keeps his hands low and throws the looping overhands. that would never work with a great striker. he'd have to put his hands up and that would take away the unorthodox punches he throws.

#7 ·
Chuck can be pretty wild with his striking. If he meets someone whose good at striking, has heavy hands, and is patient in his fighting until an opening arrives, he'll be dead in the water.

#8 ·
lol of course he can! lol i mean he hasnt faced any real strikers in awhile but when a guy completey destroys opponents known for their ground game, he has got to be really good at striking, i really hope he fights silva very soon, he's getting old and it hasnt caught up to him yet so i hope he gets that fight before the end of this year, or sometime early 2008

#9 ·
jdun11 said:
He wouldnt look nearly as dominant against another striker. But he has his crazy power to rely on. Whatch his fights with Overeem and Mezger. He is clearly losing those fights before landing the big shot. But that being said, Chuck is dangerous against anyone.

Thats true, i got both of those fights on DVD and both Overeem and Mezger were really taking to Liddelll in the standup department, so much so that Liddell had to shooot for a double on Overeeem, Chuck's a good striker , but hes no world class striker like CroCop... the guys from K-1 are on another level.

Liddell is knocking out all these grapplers and buying into his own hype i think

#10 ·
Punishment 101 said:
Thats true, i got both of those fights on DVD and both Overeem and Mezger were really taking to Liddelll in the standup department, so much so that Liddell had to shooot for a double on Overeeem, Chuck's a good striker , but hes no world class striker like CroCop... the guys from K-1 are on another level.

Liddell is knocking out all these grapplers and buying into his own hype i think
That fight with Overeem is the only fight where Chuck uses his wrestling. He was in serious trouble with those knees and he was cut and bleeding. And that fight was only like 4 minutes long.

#12 ·
i think something a lot of you are forgetting is his footwork. its not just a simple "throw punch, throw kick" etc etc. if you watch chucks first fight with randy he was predictable in his movements, he showed angles to randy that gave randy the opportunity to impose his will. match 2 and 3, chuck was moving around more, back forth, to and fro, up down. he's more accurate than he used to be and he doesnt expose himself as much as he used to. i still think the best matchup for him is wandy, i think chuck will be able to pick apart rampage. maybe not destroy him or knock him out, but outscore him for sure. wandy's a whole nother kinda problem for chuck.

#14 ·
no respect...

Before you say it, I like both UFC and Pride so no I am not a UFC nuthugger or TUF newbie. No matter what Chuck does he won't get any respect. Even if he beats Rampage everyone will say "Rampage isn't the fighter he was in '03" or "it would be different with Pride rules". So does the fight even matter? I don't care who wins as long as it's a good fight.

Also, if you remember Wanderlei Silva was beaten in both his UFC fights but of course that doesn't matter does it? He's in Pride and of course he's better than any UFC fighter. :) Silva is a great fighter and has gotten better. That's what great fighters do.

If you watched the Mezger and Overeem fights I don't think Chuck's chin can be questioned. His cardio, yes , but he can take a shot and I think you'll see his cardio is better.

#17 ·
Chuck has amazing recovery tho. Mezger caught him with that right and he was back up almost instantly. Didn't even give Mezger enough time to capitalize on it. The match with Overeem just shows how he can adjust to a fight to make it work to his advantage. It's all strategy, and being able to read and react to your opponent. And he can. Even if he does face an excellent striker I bet he'll find a hole in their game and use it against them. :laugh: Either that or I'm just such a Liddell fan that I can't admit defeat is possible. Honestly tho I do think that rampage would be a challenge for him.

#18 ·
kwylogb said:
Before you say it, I like both UFC and Pride so no I am not a UFC nuthugger or TUF newbie. No matter what Chuck does he won't get any respect. Even if he beats Rampage everyone will say "Rampage isn't the fighter he was in '03" or "it would be different with Pride rules". So does the fight even matter? I don't care who wins as long as it's a good fight.

Also, if you remember Wanderlei Silva was beaten in both his UFC fights but of course that doesn't matter does it? He's in Pride and of course he's better than any UFC fighter. :) Silva is a great fighter and has gotten better. That's what great fighters do.

If you watched the Mezger and Overeem fights I don't think Chuck's chin can be questioned. His cardio, yes , but he can take a shot and I think you'll see his cardio is better.
Silva is actually 1-2 in the UFC ;)

#19 ·
kwylogb said:

Sorry, Wandy lost 2 of 3 in the UFC.
L - Vitor Belfort (tko)
W - Tony Petarra (ko)
L - Tito Ortiz (dec)

#20 ·
kwylogb said:

Wanderlei has gotten much better since he fought for the UFC, but I disagree with you about him being better than any UFC fighter. Cro Cop prooved that already.

#23 ·
I think its funny how people are using Mezger and Overeem as examples.

First of all his fight with Overeem was over 3 years ago and his fight with Mezger was almost 6 years ago!! damn...

I've used this saying before. "apparently UFC fighters cant improve."

If you hadn't noticed hes been dominating every grappler, i know that doesnt say much but some of these grapplers are actually decent strikers. Randy Coutore, Renato Sobral, Tito Ortiz..Okay Tito Ortiz isn't that good of a striker but Chuck just took the hits from him willingly not showing any signs of being hurt, it was basically making Tito look like an idiot.

They may not be world classed strikers or great but in their credentials you will see that they can strike none the less.

Besides, usually when I see good strikers up against good grapplers they really dont "dominate" them standing, just have the edge during this process.

#24 ·
watching the overeem and mezger fights again, i'm not so sure you can't question his chin. he was dazed a couple times in each fight. he has a quick recovery time, but if he's fighting a really great striker with some heavy hands, it could end for chuck if one connects.

#25 ·
It seems that people are really starting to go off Chuck. I went off him for a while too, but, I have come to realise that he could be the Best in the world, with out argument like he says. Haha.. I think he can stand with another striker. Maybe not forever, but, it's only going to take so long for him to knock them out aswell. So, it's the same case with him fighting Wanderlei. They can both beat each other.

#26 ·
Nick_V03 said:
I think its funny how people are using Mezger and Overeem as examples.

First of all his fight with Overeem was over 3 years ago and his fight with Mezger was almost 6 years ago!! damn...

I've used this saying before. "apparently UFC fighters cant improve."

If you hadn't noticed hes been dominating every grappler, i know that doesnt say much but some of these grapplers are actually decent strikers. Randy Coutore, Renato Sobral, Tito Ortiz..Okay Tito Ortiz isn't that good of a striker but Chuck just took the hits from him willingly not showing any signs of being hurt, it was basically making Tito look like an idiot.

They may not be world classed strikers or great but in their credentials you will see that they can strike none the less.

Besides, usually when I see good strikers up against good grapplers they really dont "dominate" them standing, just have the edge during this process.
dude tito is a idiot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.