Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

In need of weight gaining advice.

847 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Nythial 
#1 ·
First of all id like to introduce myself , my name is Robbert im a 21 year old male from holland.

Ive taken a great interest in MMA sports mainly for the fact that it brings selfconfidence and is very good for your self defence which is something you need in holland.

So right now im looking for a place where i can join in on MMA training but it aint easy as i work at evening times.

But i could use some help from you guys here about nutrition.
Right now im really skinny i think im about 177cm high (5"8 feet) and i weight a small 57 kilos (125pounds).

Im aiming to get around 65-70 kilos (143-154pounds).
even tho in the past months i have gone from 50 kilos to 57 kilos i seem to be at a point where i dont increase weight.

So any advice on what to eat and drink and when would be great, and if someone could tell me in depth about it they could send me a message and maybe hit me up on msn.

Right now i work out 5 days a week as well ive been doing this for over 6 months doing 30 minutes of cardio followed by power training for a different body part each day.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey man,

First off, welcome to the forum! =)

Now, in order to gain weight the basic law is: energy intake > energy expenditure. So, you need to be taking in more calories (eating more food) than your body is burning off.

Being 5'8 and 57kg, that's pretty thin and sounds like you have an extremely fast metabolism. So in my opinion you need to be taking in about 2200-2500cals every day. Now, in terms of putting on weight - you need to be eating 5-6 meals per day aiming at about 400cals per meal. Each meal should contain carbohydrates, proteins and fat.

Foods with quality carbs:
- Brown rice
- Oats
- Potatoes
- Multigrain/brown bread
- Vegetables
- Fruits

Foods with quality protein:
- Red meats: lamb, beef
- Chicken
- Fish
- Eggs
- Skim Milk

Foods with quality (unsaturated) fats:
- Eggs (yolk)
- Unsalted peanuts
- Flaxseeds

You could also look into a protein supplement for after training and before bed to assist you however it isn't a necessity.

Hope this helps, if you need anything just PM me =)

P.S. with exercise - keep doing what your doing, cardio keeps you fit/healthy and lifting weights will help you gain muscle mass. The only thing you need to ensure is that you eat more than your body burns off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.