Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Velasquez Ready For Title Shot? Dana Agrees

5K views 111 replies 27 participants last post by  coldcall420 
#1 ·
It was a monumental night for Cain Velasquez at UFC 110. He knocked out Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira to place himself on the perch as a title contender, and a shot could come as soon as later this year.

With Shane Carwin and Frank Mir set to do battle in a five-round interim title fight next month at UFC 111, UFC president Dana White reiterated the winner of that bout would be the next top challenger, but confirmed Velasquez is ready for his shot as well.

"The heavyweight division is more exciting than it's been in years. It just keeps getting better and better," White said. "Obviously it's great that Brock Lesnar is back now so we'll see what happens with Frank Mir and (Shane) Carwin. See who wins that and if the guys come out unscathed, they'll fight for the title, if not then Cain Velasquez will get that slot."

White went on to praise Velasquez for his performance over a fighter he called possibly the greatest heavyweight of all time in Nogueira.

"Cain Velasquez went out and absolutely finished him, and looked completely dominant," White commented. "In my opinion, better than he's ever looked. The kid gets better every time he fights."

While always remaining humble, Velasquez did speak up about his place as a top contender in the heavyweight division.

"I think so," Velasquez answered when asked if he thought he deserved a title shot. "Whatever the UFC says, I'm going to be ready for it."

The world's attention will now turn to the March 27 fight between Carwin and former champion Mir. If the winner of that bout can't go during the summer then Velasquez will get called up to face Lesnar.

See less See more
#2 ·
"possibly the greatest heavyweight of all time"?

I remember hearing that there was a guy out there who's 31-1 (or something like that) and has beaten Nogueira twice, but what do I know.

But yes, Cain absolutely deserves a title shot. Been absolutely dominant in every fight he's ever had.

#3 ·
Very interesting division now

Brock
Cain
Mir
Carwin
JDS

Basically 5 guys who are all in contention (or the champ in Brocks case)

Dana says Cain is ready for a shot but carwin and Mir are first, so what is cain going to do?

Wait for Mir/Carwin then Mir/Brock (my opinion ;) )then Cain fights the winner? , that's going to be a lay off for him.

Cain needs to fight in the meantime but you can't give him someone not worthy so it's only JDS for me, but that is a tasty tasty fight and if JDS were to win, CAIN is out od immediate contention.

#5 ·
Not a fan but Cain has definitely done more than enough to earn a title shot. I think a fight between him and Frank Mir would be more interesting than a fight between him and Brock, as I can see Lesnar throwing him around and pounding him out, tbh. Lesnar's a near 300lbs hunk of a bloke with as good, if not better wrestling than Valesques. Standing up, they are even at this point. But as far as grappling goes Brock has the advantage.

#10 · (Edited)
I wouldn't quite put Lesnars striking on par with Cain's. I think Cain has better head movement, faster hands, and better combinations. Yes, he has been suceptible to getting hit in previous fights (Kongo), but his standup looked better than ever on Saturday. Nog is supposed to have some of the best boxing in the division, and Cain looked more accrurate and beat him to the punch in every exchange: http://fightmetric.com/fighterreports/Nogueira.html
Wrestling wise I'd probably put them about even. Lesnar's sheer size could be the difference maker in grappling exchanges. Just my take.

#18 ·
I wasnt convinced with Cain before this fight, but his performance was outstanding. First time hes faced a top guy, and he came threw with flying colours. Tough situation for Dana, for Cain to wait until July would be very long, and hes' not guaranteed to fight Brock if Carwin or Mir is able to go. I guess we will find out more after the end of march.

#23 ·
i say assuming brock is gonna be till the end of summer, if thats even close to accurate, put the winner of carwin/mir angainst cain and promote the winner from interim to full heavyweight champion. the 3 have done things worthy of fighting for the title, but since that isnt possible the interim title will have to do.

#24 · (Edited)
Cain is the most well rounded, fastest HW with the best cardio, of course he is ready. The only real comparison in any of these categories is some pudgy Russian guy i forget the name of ATM.

ive backed off my Cain should get a title shot stance since watching a couple Cain interviews. I agree. Who cares who it is, aslong as Brown Pride keeps smashing ppl, that gold is gonna end up on his waist one day or another.

So everybody put their heads together, the FUTURE is here, tell me who you think can beat him?? tell Dana. lets line them all up. Cain isnt looking for a break, he isnt looking for easy stylistic matchups, has beens or nobodies.

Bring Cain the toughest guy, the guy everybody thinks he cant beat.

Ill tell you what, regardless of the ignorance a 3some of Kongo, Rothwell and Big Nog has almost 90 fights on their resume who had lost via TKO's a total of 4 TIMES COMBINED. Think about it. All 3 are known for being warriors and having iron jaws and will power. All 3 left smashed, broken, bloody and beaten men.

ppl really need to understand how ridiculously impressive that is.

#27 ·
I have to admit, for a HW, his striking looked fantastic. I don't think I've ever taken notice of his striking ability, as it was displayed this weekend.

I think he has the power to KO any HW, including my boy Brock. If or when the two fight, I'll be the first to admit I would hope that Brock takes it to the ground ASAP.

#38 ·
I knew this would happen. Even though I actually said the opposite. Some Fedor fans are such idoits. Wish we could find them their own island, where Fedor could rule as their King. They'd be so peaceful there and would seem relatively smart.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, you're not running away from this. You said that CARWIN IS BETTER BECAUSE HE FIGHTS IN THE UFC. Even though Carwin's only tough fight was against Gonzaga. You dimissed Rogers' win over AA and the fact that he survived vs. Fedor. We were NOT discussing Fedor, we were discussing why you thought Carwin was better than Grim. But nice try, again please do not let the facts get in the way of your argument.

#40 · (Edited)
With all do respect,, i get the feeling that Samborules is a super Fedor nuthugger.....

Also, Grim beat Mr. Glass Jaw AA. Any heavyweight in the UFC could take AA right now and win via KO. IMO that was a gimme fight to Rogers.

Im not really taking anyones side in your arguement cus i could care less just putting my 2 cents in.

#42 ·
i hate to fly in the face of convention and i dont like Carwin one bit but he is still better then Rogers IMO

he has a real MMA base to go along with big power.

he has everything rogers has except Rogers has faster hands imo both are sloppy boxers tho. Carwin has real good wrestling tho. Rogers has.... sloppy boxing.

Both really havent proven they can stay near the top and are anything other then really big guys with really big power. We havent seen them in a war going deep rounds which is where i think both would struggle.

Carwin would take Brett down and beat him up IMO

#57 ·
Neither Cain or carwin can be considered the best heavyweight in the world yet.. They have like one fight each against big names oponents.

Other than that its: Can1, can2 and the tomato can.

According to the UFC, Brock Lessnar is the best fighter in the world.. And so was Silvia.. Brock, Cain and Carwin has nothing on their record to even slightly suggest that they are the best. It seems these days it just takes fighting 2-3 times in the UFC for the UFC fanboys to jump around kissing and screaming "The best in the world", pretty much what happened in Brock Lessnars case.

None in the UFC Heavyweight division has as impressive record as Fedor, being undefeated, fighting so many top names in their prime. Brock won't be able to keep his belt for long, cus the reality is he isn't the best, and never was, he is a top HW 10 fighter, Cain/Carwing probably top 15. Fedor is still dominating. Fedor isn't ducking.. And still fighting top 5 guys. While Cain, Carwin for the most part isn't.

#63 ·
None in the UFC Heavyweight division has as impressive record as Fedor,
All of Fedor opponents have been destroyed in more impressive fashion by UFC HW's. Babalu, Mirko, Nog, Coleman, Randelmann, you name them. Common opponents show Fedor would suffer the same fate as the rest of the Pride HW's. Fedor was king of a time when HW's weren't that strong and frankly weren't true HW's. I would take 5 UFC HW's against Fedor. He's ducking competition. He should retire or take on the best league. Frankly, I think he should retire. Even if he loses in the UFC, the excuses of age will abound, just like they did with Nog and Cop.

#76 ·
Brock, Cain, Mir and JDS are all better right now then anybody Fedor beat in their primes.

Its called evolution ppl. When a sport is young and not many ppl compete in it during the early years you get shitty competition compared to when it is growing and you are getting a much bigger talent pool and much better pure athletes.

Do you think Jim Brown would run all over the NFL now if he were in his prime?? No, he would be an average back at best. It doesnt take away from what he did... BACK THEN.

Well MMA is so new that the evolution is literally just years. In a few years some young bucks will come in and do this all over again. Guys we think are well rounded and good striking now will be overwhelmed. Just like the old guard is overwhelmed now.

#81 ·
Fedor better not retire!! he is the only old guard that seems to have evovled. likely because he was years ahead of the division back then. now its alot closer and anybody that thinks otherwise is delusional.

if he retires then if one of these guys is truely better then him, we will never know and Fedor fans will always say he could have beat blah blahblah

lets settle it like true warriors do, in the ring. I think Fedor vs Cain would be the least trash talked fight in HW history.

he MAY still be the best HW. i just want to find out.

#85 · (Edited)
and what if Fedor gets beaten, nobody should have a problem with that it's a sport.

I mean Mir etc etc have far worse record then him even with a loss, that wouldnt change anything unless people finely could say that he can be beaten.

edit: also I dont see a problem with people who like fedor and try to defend him when some guy says ridicolous things like he should retire, or that he aint strong anymore.

#98 ·
the same reason fighters show Cain so much i guess. Dana tells them to?? lol

obv the fighters know wtf is up. Fedor is obv no joke and could beat most UFC HWs. The only question logical ppl really have is, can he beat all of the top UFCs HWs??

#99 ·
UFC HW div is a Joke ,who is this Carwin person people keep talking about ? is he the one that was completely getting dominated by Gonzaga and then got one lucky punch in?

Fedor was and still is the PRIDE HW Champion of the World ,while Brock was reading scripts on how to lose to the Undertaker.

Rothwell took like 20 punches in the face by Cain, do u honestly think that Cain has a chance against Fedor crazy Haymakers?

The only fight that i would want to see is Brock vs Fedor because everyone wants to see that.

#104 ·
Calminian, you do realize that Rampage, Hendo and Shogun came from Pride, right? Are they inferior to UFC dudes as well? What is your prejudice vs. former Pride dudes. I think even some unknown dude Anderson Silva dabbled in Pride for a short while. You place persons like Carwin on a pedestal and Brock with his all impressive 4-1 record, while dismissing the accomplishments of the Pride guys? I realize that the sport has evolved since then and perhaps has bypassed some of the former champs, yet Hendo and Rua seem to be adapting quite nicely. It is OK to have polite discussions but you blatantly disrespect persons who disagree with you and then insult them with absolutely no basis for those insults. In addition you DID state multiple times that Grim would beat Fedor and all the Fedor fans would be crying here, then when Grim lost you stated that Grim "dominated" Fedor for most of the fight. Really? I at least admitted I was wrong to misjudge Cain, you WOULD NEVER admit you were wrong. You are the worst possible person in these forums. You never ever base arguments on facts just silly opinions. You sir, are the definition of TROLL.

Good Day

:thumb02:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.