MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Back to Basics

Thread: Back to Basics
View Single Post

Old 02-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #217 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Alright. I'm going to get back to this thread. Sorry I've been neglecting it for a long time.

Feel free to post questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKY View Post
Hey I just wanted to say thankyou for everyone who has responded to my questions in this thread, as I'm going to get my first stripe soon (well I'm subbing the 1 stripes now so I'm just assuming I will).
Congrat, bro. If there's anything you need help with, feel free to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jesus- View Post
Alright, I have a question that has probably been asked.

I get stuck in guard(guy has long legs) I try to can opener him, and he just stays with it(i pull head all the way down to my belly)

So i try to post back and stick the knee to the butt and break the legs, but legs are long enough to just move around(or puts me in a triangle)

How can I pass this guard?
OK, this is something that a lot of people have trouble with. Just because you open the guard doesn't mean you've passed the guard. You really have to kill the legs to ensure a good pass.

Kill his guard at the knees. If you're rolling with the gi on, grab the gi at the knee and pin his leg to the mat as you pass. If his leg is on the mat, it's very difficult to maintain the guard position.

Don't just open the legs and then try and move around them. They can still attack you. Pin the leg to the mat until you get to side control.

There's a lot of nuance to passing, but hopefully you can get the idea from some of the earlier posts on it.

Still, if people are shooting triangles on you, I think that you should probably focus on killing the legs.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote