MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Playing Favorites

View Single Post

Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by swpthleg View Post
My second question was rhetorical, and we do want to hear why you like Japanese crowds better.
I think there's an appreciation for the narratives of a fight that I can really relate to in the Japanese crowd. The American fans don't seem to care about the historicity of fights like Sakuraba vs. Royce Gracie. They'd just get irritated that it was 90 minutes long.

It also has a lot to do with the Japanese respect for the ground game. That's a respect that doesn't exist in the United States, even in professional wrestling. Professional wrestling in the U.S. isn't even about grappling. South Park had an episode about professional wrestling in which they pointed out that there's a homophobic reaction to what grappling looks like in the United States.

Mostly, though, it has a lot to do with this:

Quote:
There’s a tradition among sumo fans that the favorite competitor should not be a guy at the top of the heap, since it’s easy to be a fan of a yokozuna. It’s tough to be a fan of a guy when he’s not at the top of the heap, because it means having to keep awe somewhat proportional to performance. I don’t mind being a fan of a guy who started his career 1-8-1, because when I look at his career, the numbers are what I care about anyway.
I love this attitude.

I love the anti-bandwagon attitude. It's refreshing, and something that I can definitely relate to personally.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote