Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

All UFC programming banned from German television!

3K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  M_D 
#1 ·
The UFC have been banned from German television this week, with the Bavarian state office for new media (BLM) revoking the promotions broadcasting clearance for all programming.

In a statement issued by BLM reads says, “The committee deems that television formats characterized by the extent of violence shown to be unacceptable,” as well as saying the sport is in “breach of taboos like punching a downed opponent.”

The UFC was televised on German sports channel, DSF and their Chief Executive Officer, Zeljko Karajica told Sherdog.com:

“We have taken note of today’s decision by the BLM. However, we cannot give a final comment as we have to examine what kind of consequences it will have internally, especially with regard to the existing contractual relationship with the UFC.”

UFC UK President, Marshall Zelaznik, in charge of developing the sport in territories also said:

“We have been monitoring this development together with our partner DSF for a couple of weeks. Although we are not surprised by the decision, we consider it unusual to take action without listening to the concerning parties first.”

“The Bavarian state office for new media has approved UFC programming on DSF twice on separate occasions in the past. That is why we deem the sudden ban unusual as the content of our programming has not changed. We have also had a commission for youth protection in the media review the situation and they deemed the broadcast legal if televised after 11 p.m.”
:sad02:

God bless the Intrawebs!

#4 ·
We have a turd in the punch bowl.. looks like DSF will have to get back to their usual sport events around midnight which has naked women doing some stuff.. this UFC deal was probably the best thing they had apart from handball and german 2 bundesliga live matches here and there.. free tv (which is still payed every month over cable) just sucks ..

#5 ·
What kind of ass end backwards country is still looking to institute a ban on MMA? Seriously what is next are they gonna revoke womens right to vote?

#11 ·
Germany, on the forefront of human rights since 1918.

ahh if only the world followed their shining examples.....
Our chief of state is a woman and what happened in our country in the first half of the century is now abolished by the law. Stop it right there, ok? Usually I'm not that touchy, but that's just one thing I absolutely hate.

It still sucks. I never really watched UFC on television since the commentary sucks and the internet is much better, but that really sucks. And actually... I don't get it. There's lots of K-1 on TV (though not on DSF) and Muay Thai competitions.

#6 ·
Germany, on the forefront of human rights since 1918.

ahh if only the world followed their shining examples.....

#10 ·
lol take it easy guys :) we have a woman reign over our country^^
ahhh, even more reason to dislike you then!!! j/k :p

was just messing. the reason Germany got strong was because of American ideas. They rebuilt Japan and Germany the way they would have liked America to be but couldnt change.

rights to education, unions, healthcare, social assistence etc etc

ironically Berlin was the capital of for liberal ideas and thinking a long time ago.

#13 ·
I bet Boxing is a big part of this, i just know it. Germany is pretty big on boxing right now and i bet they dont want MMA coming in and spoiling the show for them.
Actually it's just the Klitschkos. We don't care for boxing unless it's some Klitschko jabbing the shit out of some unknown opponent for 12 rounds. :thumbsup:

#27 ·
I really don't know, but I heard it faced a lot of harsh critics afterwards. This fight was probably a main reason for that. It just scares people.

I really think that the move to ban the UFC is definitely due to Germany becoming the HW boxing mecca of the world.
I don't think they have to fear MMA already! I don't know the TV Quotas, but I am sure they were pretty low. It was viewed at the most awful time on weekdays. Not viewable for ppl who have a daily job, unless you record it or something..

#25 ·
There's no doubt about the danger and risk involved in MMA; having said that, I've always pointed out that MMA fighters are at much lower risk for damage than are boxers.

Despite appearances, MMA is much safer than other combat sports such as boxing and the NFL.

I think MMA will be back on German television sooner rather than later, as people are educated about mixed martial arts competition.

#26 ·
Boxing = 12 rounds of consensual brain damage. It is a great irony how boxing gloves, cutting less but involved in causing more brain damage, makes it a more acceptable sport. Complete hypocrisy.

I really think that the move to ban the UFC is definitely due to Germany becoming the HW boxing mecca of the world.

#29 ·
It has nothing to do with boxing. There is an old law that gives bayern( a state of germany) the power to forbid a tv show. They used this law to forbid ufc and their reason is the violation in mma, for example it is allowed to punch people who are on the floor.

#30 ·
when did germans become such pansies and bleeding hearts??

over compensate much??

expect this from switzerland or costa rica or something, a country with longterm anti war, anti violence leanings or something... this is just weird.

#32 ·
makes no sense if they ban because of blood of cuts or stuff like that maybe. i dont get the hitting opponents on the ground thing, i assume they don't show dream or sengoku or anything else right?

are they that worried about children seeing it? can understand that but if thats the case then why did not ban it at first? people get punched on the ground in almost every single fight.

#35 ·
I don't feel it's that bad to be honest. UFC was usually on well after midnight, so it's not like a lot of people actually watched it. Another reason I don't understand why they had to cancel it...

Oh and by the way, the guy who negged me for my first post in this thread without leaving a name because he thought I negged him without leaving my name and wanted revenge... I didn't.

#39 ·
You simply cannot compare the autocratic dictatorship of 1930's-40's Germany to the banning of a sports event, that's ridiculous. In fact, if anything, the television laws of Bayern are incredibly liberal in that they feel willing to censor what they consider to be too violent. Not something I agree with obviously, but still not nearly comparable to Nazi Germany. The German state, which is currently quite a progressive, liberal one, has made numerous laws since WW2 to stop the victimization of minority groups, this isn't overcompensating, its attempting to build bridges after the atrocity of what was the Third Reich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.