Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

P4P Best Weight Cutters

5K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  vaj3000 
#1 ·
In the early days of the sport fighters like Royce Gracie proved that technique can over come sheer size and strength. but in modern mma almost every practitioner is skilled, especially at the top level, so this is when size does become important.

cutting weight has become a necessity because otherwise your opponent could have a huge advantage. where most guys cut between 10-15lbs there are a few who cut monstrous amounts of weight. its treated as a science to some, sweat off 20lbs+ and rehydrate correctly to ensure your body gets back all its electrolytes and you can fight at 100%.

below is a list of fighters who i think are the best weight cutters in MMA (or at least ufc)

5. Nate Marquardt

many people claim that Anderson Silva cuts an unfair amount of weight to get to mw, but in my opinion Nate Marquardt is even bigger. he's 6 ft, and packs on more muscle than anyone else in the weight class. maybe Palhares has more muscle but he's alot shorter.

4. Thiago Alves

This man was getting alot of bad press for the amount of weight he cuts a couple years back. he was 3lbs overweight against hughes and many thought he was too big to make the weight anymore. he was injured leading up to the hughes fight which affected the amount of weight he could cut, but he's made weight in every fight since. he reportedly steps into the cage at 200lbs which is monstrous for a WW.

3. Gleison Tibau

At first glance you'd think this man was a fairly large WW, well actually he cuts all the way down to 155lbs. i couldn't find any hard evidence but his wikipedia profile suggests he steps into the cage at 183lbs, thats not far off GSP's fighting weight!

2. Anthony Johnson

Anthony Johnson cuts the most weight by far, i'd have him as NO1 going from stats alone but i have my reasons for keeping him at 2nd place. A couple months before the koschek fight he was walking around at 220lbs, that makes him a natural lhw! he obviously wasn't cutting 50lbs of water weight before the fight but you can be damn sure he steps in the cage over 200lbs.

1. Brock Lesnar

Brock is what defines weight cutting. he's a mammoth of a man and has to cut quite a bit to make the huge 265lbs limit of the hw division. it's because of him that frank Mir and over hw's are becoming obsessed with gaining size. pretty soon they'll have to make a 220lb division, all because Brock came in and dominated with his brute size.

See less See more
#2 ·
doesnt brock walk around like 280-290 tho?? its not that big of a cut.

hell the guy said he loses 12 pounds after working out..... think about how ridiculous that is lol imagine how much water he has in his body.

#4 ·
yea he doesn't cut loads, but i put him at no1 because through him almost every heavyweight is obsessed with gaining size. won't be long before mir is cutting down from 300 lol

#3 ·
i agree with all except Brock, i doubt he cuts that much weight TBH, maybe 10-15lbs which is about average id say. am not sure of course as i dont weigh them, but just judging from apperances from weigh in till fight time you can normally tell the big weight cutters and Brock doesnt look much different imo.

A lot of ATT guys are great at cutting weight they must have some secrets over there that other camps dont know about. I think Ben Saunders should be up there he is a huge WW, Tibau is p4p best weight cutter in the UFC though IMO. that guy is a monster LW.

#5 ·
i met Nate in montreal once and the guy is HUGE.

im not that small myself 6f 200 but this dude was way bigger and wider then me.

#8 ·
i think thats for another thread but i dont think its ever unfair, its all apart of the sport imo, Anyone can to choose do it, so i dont see why it could be unfair. As long they reach there agreed weight 24hrs before fight time thats all we need to know.

#7 ·
also, once Brock loses his gifted title all these guys will have the same thing in common. not champs, or number 1 contenders or really a threat to the top.

size isnt everything and this list pretty much proves my point ;)

#11 ·
lol u dont get props for cutting and looking like crap :p

same thing for alves a few years ago... not making weight or losing to my boy The Fisher King via sub.... oh how sweet that payday was!!!

#20 ·
If your going to look at the best at cutting weight you have to look at the effect it has on the fighter, its no point including fighters like johnson with respect when it effects their game
Originally Posted by swpthleg View Post
At what point does a weight cut become "unfair"
If it doesnt mess you up then fair play

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.