MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Newb here trying to learn the industry

View Single Post

Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
prolyfic
Bantamweight

prolyfic is on another level nowprolyfic is on another level nowprolyfic is on another level nowprolyfic is on another level nowprolyfic is on another level nowprolyfic is on another level nowprolyfic is on another level nowprolyfic is on another level nowprolyfic is on another level nowprolyfic is on another level nowprolyfic is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1428 View Post
Hey guys.

I'm trying to understand more about the MMA industry. If you got the time and the patients, please help me with a few things...
1st Welcome to the forum and glad to see you interested in MMA, thats the 1st good sign your interested in MMA and you dont think that the UFC=MMA.

Quote:
So MMA is the industry. What percentage of the industry do you think UFC makes up? What other organizations are worth mentioning? If there is a major organization outside the UFC that makes up this industry, please include that organization in the following questions if you could.
Ufc is by far the most popular and is the dominating force but there are many other organizations. But probably Strikeforce, WEC and Dream are the other major or more well known ones. So UFC probably industry wise you can say its a little more than half as far as size, people and power individually.

Quote:
Would you include boxing in this industry? My first thought is no...
Your 1st thought is right as far as boxing the sport. Boxing is 1 of the disciplines used in MMA but the sport by itself is not really related. Although we do have to use the same scoring system at the moment which has been the subject of great debate.
Quote:
How many fighters are relatively popular or at least known? For example in MLB there are 780 players each year in the MLB, about 200 are actually known by those who follow baseball.
There are many household MMA fighter names to many to put in here but the ones that most half way interested fans will know would be Anderson Silva, GSP, Fedor, Brock(very public entering into the sport), Rampage, Forrest Griffen, Chuck Lidell, Tito Ortiz.
Quote:
How often are there events? Once a week, month, ect...
They are on all the time but UFC events exclusively is about 20 events a year. 12 or so PPV ones and then about 8 Televised ones.
Quote:
How many fighters participate in each event?
Usually about 11 fights so 22.

Quote:
How often would each of those popular fighters in the above question fight in a single year?
If they don't get hurt the average is about 3 times a year. Truthfully champions have not even hit that mark as of late, 2 a year would be alot for some of them.
Quote:
Does anyone play fantasy UFC? If so, what website do you use?
I dont so cant help there sorry.

TraMai he kinda answered everything, didnt really need mine. LOL sorry.

Last edited by TraMaI : 03-31-2010 at 01:53 PM.
prolyfic is offline   Reply With Quote