Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Smoking Cigarettes During Training

16K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Andrus 
#1 ·
I know that a lot of people that do MMA sometimes come in with bad habits like smoking cigarettes. I been training in MMA for about 6 months, and I am a smoker. It really affects my cardio, even if I just cut down. So I need to stop all together. I have tried cold turkey,patches etc. But I was watching tv and saw a story on E-Cigarettes. So I figured I would get one. I got my starter kit from http://www.ecigarettes4less.com So I was wondering if anyone has had success with these? Or should I just get my money back?

#2 ·
I dunno about any special products or whatever. Just like with everything else addictive, you have to slowly wean yourself off. Just quitting cold turkey is gonna drive you insane. Decrease the amount you have day by day. Less cigarettes day by day and try not to light up as often. Smoke half of one and put it out, save the rest for later. You gotta be strong man, you will feel alot better when you do quit. When I quit one of my favorite things about it was waking up feeling good and just being able to breathe easier. Very refreshing feeling.

#3 ·
Weening yourself off has always been a complete failure for everyone I knew. The only people I know who were succesful just quit, straight up. The physical addiction is gone in like a week.

I never had any problem quiting. I stopped and stayed at home so as not to tempt myself for a few days, then replaced **** with food. Go cold turkey with the attitude that if you fail, you will neer get off and you will die.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Well now you do know of somebody who it was succesful on:) Actually most stop smoking programs nowadays involve weaning yourself off. Many mainstream programs as well as ones offered at hospitals and such.

But yes the addiction felt does fade quickly if you can implement a little willpower. How long did you smoke before going cold turkey?

And to the OP: Are you hanging in there?

#8 ·
#10 ·
Since smokers are addicted to the nicotine in cigarettes you might try nicotine lozenges. Not nicorette gum, but the prescription strength lozenges. My friend smoked 2 packs a day and uses them and hasn't smoked for 8 months. They are a little more expensive than a pack of smokes but they don't contain all of the chemicals, tar, and crap that kills your cardio. If cold turkey and patches haven't worked this might help

#14 ·
Nicotine is out of your system in 72 hours, i think. After than, the repetitive movement to your mouth is what makes it hard to stay quit. I smoke 2 packs a day for almost 8 years. I got into submission grappling and tried to cut back and it didn't work. After a month or so of grappling, I decided I was done smoking and threw away a half full pack of Reds. I craved bad for 3, 4 days but I focused on conditioning for the sport. I've been smoke-free for almost 6 years now.

#18 ·
It's hard to give an advice, it really depends on the person IMO. My dad couldn't quit with nicorrete (though, it could be that he just wanted to try it and not really quit, dunno), while a good friend of mine quit with his wife simotaniously going cold turkey and had no problem.

#20 ·
Actually, there is no good time to smoke a cigarette because they are bad for you. It is unfortunate that you make the effort to go to the gym and work out to improve your health and then spoil it by putting more poison into your lungs. You really ought to try to quit and, after a year, take the money you would have squandered on cancer sticks and buy something nice for yourself.

#24 ·
I've been off on daily basis now for 3 months, I only have some when I'm drinking. The first week is the hardest, but I think the best thing to do is as the previous members said, locking yourself in :D and also if you stop hanging around smokers for some while because otherwise there's a pretty good chance you will break. I've done some snus, but I made a pause on that thing because it didn't work well if I had done like 3 weeks. Good luck anyways to all of you who are trying to quit the smoking. they are f'n evil! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.