MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Which form of stand up would be best for me?

View Single Post

Old 04-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
North
Amatuer

North will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enough
Kung Fu is a broad term for Chinese martial arts
Just as Karate is a broad term for generally Japanese/Okinawan martial arts.

Saying, "I could go try Kung Fu!" is not unlike saying, "I could go try an American martial art!"

If you knew specifically what styles of Kung Fu were being taught in your area, I could probably discuss those a bit, or at least give you what information I know of them.

G-Land has a great point though. If you don't enjoy training in that particular art at that particular place, you're not going to stick with it, and if you do force yourself to stick with it, you probably won't really excel with it.

I could go train BJJ. It'd be a great addition to my skills, especially ground skills. But I don't learn BJJ, because I'm simply not interested in that art, nor really all that interested in ground fighting.

Also, size is relatively irrelevant, y'know? There's weight classes for a reason.

Although I suppose that leads into the curious question of, are you training to actually compete, or for self defense, or both?

Last edited by North : 04-01-2010 at 12:51 AM.
North is offline   Reply With Quote