Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Newb here trying to learn the industry

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  moe1428 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm trying to understand more about the MMA industry. If you got the time and the patients, please help me with a few things...

So MMA is the industry. What percentage of the industry do you think UFC makes up? What other organizations are worth mentioning?

If there is a major organization outside the UFC that makes up this industry, please include that organization in the following questions if you could.

Would you include boxing in this industry? My first thought is no...

How many fighters are relatively popular or at least known? For example in MLB there are 780 players each year in the MLB, about 200 are actually known by those who follow baseball.

How often are there events? Once a week, month, ect...

How many fighters participate in each event?

How often would each of those popular fighters in the above question fight in a single year?

Does anyone play fantasy UFC? If so, what website do you use?

Thanks for helping a newb out. I appreciate your time!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The thing that makes these questions hard to answer, is that MMA doesn't have leagues. The number of known fighters depends on the viewers' interest in the sport. Casual fans will most likely just know fighters that are fighting in the UFC, or have at some point.

Besides UFC, you should check out WEC, Dream, K-1, Strikeforce, King of the Cage, Bellator Fighting Championships, and whatever organizations you can find depending on your interest.

If you want to learn some history, watch the old Pride FC fights. Tons of good material there, and their dvds are dirt cheap.

The amount of events a month is always fluctuating. Tonight's UFC event is the 3rd in 2 weeks. That isn't common though. The UFC and WEC are definitely the most driving forces of MMA. Strikeforce and Dream are coming up though, and are starting to get better fights.

UFC.com has a fantasy section. This forum has a vbookie which is fun for betting points that you gain for posting, polls, etc.

Watching old UFC footage and Pride FC footage will give you a deeper perspective on today's MMA world. I suggest doing that.

#3 ·
Hey guys.

I'm trying to understand more about the MMA industry. If you got the time and the patients, please help me with a few things...
More than happy to man! Welcome to the forum!

So MMA is the industry. What percentage of the industry do you think UFC makes up? What other organizations are worth mentioning?
If you're talking about marketshare, I'd be willing ot bet UFC makes up probably 90% or more of it. There are others worth mentioning though as quite a few have cropped up recently.

Sengoku: Japanese MMA victory (Also known as World Victory Road)

DREAM: Pretty much the new PRIDE, A lot of tournament format bouts and some seriously high level competition.

Strike Force: UFC's biggest rival, even if that's not saying much. Shown on Showtime and CBS. Good crop of fighters, high level.

WEC: Dana White's (president of the UFC) MMA organization. Incorporates lower weight classes, I believe 135, 145 and 155. Excellent level of compeition.

Bellator: Seasonal Tournament format with some really high level dudes. Great organization.

Those are the main ones, other people can post ones I've missed.

If there is a major organization outside the UFC that makes up this industry, please include that organization in the following questions if you could.

No, I wouldn't. While they're both similar in that they're combat sports that's generally where it ends. Boxing CAN pull PPV ratings from MMA and vice versa, but MMA is starting to grab the reigns of power there so I think you'll see a paradigm shift in the very near future so boxing will stop trying to rival MMA's PPV showings and there will be a bigger divide between the two.

How many fighters are relatively popular or at least known? For example in MLB there are 780 players each year in the MLB, about 200 are actually known by those who follow baseball.
That's a really tough question TBH. In the UFC there are probably 50-60 fighters that are well known, in MMA it's fairly hard to judge as there are so many different organizations and there are different fans. There are the hardcore fans (most of us here) that can tell you almost every fighter in the UFC and his fight style, then there are casual fans who know who Chuck is and it ends there.

Honestly it depends. There have been 4 UFC evens in the past and coming 20 days. It used to be the standard to have one a month, now it's becoming standard for 2 a month with some free events (Ultimate Fight Night in the case of the UFC) thrown in. Places like Strike Force and DREAM tend to be a bit more spread out. From what I've seen SF will hold an event every three months and DREAM is around there too.

UFC Standard is 5 Main card bouts and 6 Under Card bouts, so ~22 give or take depending on injuries and the amount of fights. There were 20 fighters at UFC 111.

How often would each of those popular fighters in the above question fight in a single year?
2-3

Yes, THIS ONE! We have our own FFL and a Pick 'Em leagues along with a vBookie. Have to be a Gold member ($10 for a life time is worth it, trust me) to participate though.

Thanks for helping a newb out. I appreciate your time!
Not a problem man, welcome to the board and enjoy your stay!

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys.

1st Welcome to the forum and glad to see you interested in MMA, thats the 1st good sign your interested in MMA and you dont think that the UFC=MMA.

So MMA is the industry. What percentage of the industry do you think UFC makes up? What other organizations are worth mentioning? If there is a major organization outside the UFC that makes up this industry, please include that organization in the following questions if you could.
Ufc is by far the most popular and is the dominating force but there are many other organizations. But probably Strikeforce, WEC and Dream are the other major or more well known ones. So UFC probably industry wise you can say its a little more than half as far as size, people and power individually.

Your 1st thought is right as far as boxing the sport. Boxing is 1 of the disciplines used in MMA but the sport by itself is not really related. Although we do have to use the same scoring system at the moment which has been the subject of great debate.
There are many household MMA fighter names to many to put in here but the ones that most half way interested fans will know would be Anderson Silva, GSP, Fedor, Brock(very public entering into the sport), Rampage, Forrest Griffen, Chuck Lidell, Tito Ortiz.
They are on all the time but UFC events exclusively is about 20 events a year. 12 or so PPV ones and then about 8 Televised ones.
Usually about 11 fights so 22.

If they don't get hurt the average is about 3 times a year. Truthfully champions have not even hit that mark as of late, 2 a year would be alot for some of them.
I dont so cant help there sorry.

TraMai he kinda answered everything, didnt really need mine. LOL sorry.

Reactions: TraMaI
#9 ·
If you're a new UFC fan, I suggest paying the $50 or whatever for the UFC 100 Greats Fights DVD box set. A friend of mine actually just got into MMA (mainly UFC) a couple months ago and I told him to go buy that box set and said it was amazing. Now I can talk to him about MMA without him giving me a weird face when I say kimura or oma plata.

#14 ·
I feel your pain there are still people who have never herd the term MMA....They even drop the "UFC STUFF"...In the movie "Never back down" Ive learned to keep it simple just like I had to learn not to use military jargin when Im talking to somebody

#16 ·
The thing that I've noticed about uneducated viewers, is that they compulsively keep asking more ignorant questions. On Saturday this girl was asking why Camoes wouldn't just bite Batman. Then she asked if they were trying to pull of a kama sutra position, showcasing her lack of knowledge in that field too. Which is good, cause idiots shouldn't breed. She kept asking why Hardy wouldn't just get up. Loved 5 rounds of listening to that and her other idiotic questions. It rivaled the discussion that viewers in front of me had about the Undertaker beating everyone in the UFC.

#17 ·
Excuse me , iam goin to use this thread to see if someone can help me with a pretty basic qs..

THE WEIGH INS, how many are there? is it the day before fighting? Can you gain weight after de weigh ins?

Sorry but i really dont understand, because they say he gain x amount between the weigh in and the match.. but if its only a day!

Anyone can try to explain me this? haha

nice one

#18 ·
step into the scale and record your weight, put on a lot of clothing and start running in a treadmill, make sure you don't consume any water, you are going to sweat like a pig, after a good while get into the scale again and compare the weights.

After that start loading on carbs and drink water, a lot of it. again step into the scale and compare weights, enjoy.

#23 ·
I just took it out on my beer and sandwich. That's the bad part about not having digital cable. I'm forced into small quarters with morons. The only payoff is when the only fighter that they know gets destroyed. They act like Superman just died or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.