MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Which form of stand up would be best for me?

View Single Post

Old 04-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
North
Amatuer

North will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enoughNorth will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightinthedog View Post
Man how ignorant do I feel now? Haha! Excuse the spelling but I think my local Kung Fu class teaches a style called Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan.

I have been thinking of going to do some boxing as opposed to kickboxing because I've always enjoyed it. Kickboxing never really sat well with me, not sure why but I still do alot of it...just don't want to do even more you know?
Don't sweat it. Before I got involved deeply in martial arts and began studying my art of choice, I hadn't the faintest knowledge of vernacular like that. Most people, even those who've been involved in martial arts for many, many years, still don't realize some stuff like that.

Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan. Very cool. I don't have firsthand experience with it myself, but I'll tell you what I know of it and my take. If you want to break away from the kickboxing stuff, this is a good way to do it. The term "Chuan" means, generally, "fist" or "boxing". That information, coupled with the knowledge that it's a southern style, tells you that it's very hand oriented. Your kicks will probably be primarily below the waist - even throwing a body kick will be 'rare' (not unheared of though, by any means). Basically, southern styles focus on fighting on the inside, pounding their body and head with your hands using short power, and taking their legs from them with low kicks. Your stances will most likely look more like what'd you see from a western boxer. Those super deep stances, and the super tall stances are normally seen in northern styles rather than southern (with some exceptions), so don't worry about those. You'll probably pick up some good trapping techniques and develop some short power, which would be spiffy for clinch/dirty boxing, I'd think, and maybe even ground and pound to a point.

Like I said, I don't have firsthand experience, so I can't tell you if they'd have much in the way of throws or takedowns, or how extensively they cover Chin Na.

Most importantly though, just go check the place out, y'know? I can tell you all this stuff, but if it's not a legit kwoon or the sifu is just a tool, wasting your time studying there could be very, very worthless. Not to mention, there's always differences from one kwoon to another, one sifu to another, one branch to another, so on. So, while I can very easily picture what you'll probably see there, I could be totally off on specifics, and they might absolutely suck.

So, yeah, check it out duder, see if you're feelin' it or not.

Then again, you could always just take up the western boxing. Nothing wrong with that. I just feel like the Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan is just a different, more inclusive approach that would set you apart a bit more, and might work more for you with your size than western boxing might. Totally up to you and what you're feelin' more though.

(Eep! So lengthy! Sorry!)

-North
North is offline   Reply With Quote