Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who on your score cards?

• BJ Penn

Votes: 50 43.5%
  • Frankie Edgar

Votes: 55 47.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 10 8.7%

Penn v Edgar. Who won on your score cards?

5K views 55 replies 40 participants last post by  IronMan 
#1 ·
Theres has been a little debate on this subject, but nothing compared to what i was expecting TBH. It was a very close fight i think everyone will agree on that, but who did you have winnig the fight?

Honestly, i had BJ winning on mine. I think he defintely won the first two, although still tough to score, but the better shots from BJ give him the clear advantage i thought, Frankies TD in the 2nd was pointless i thought as BJ was back up with in 5 seconds with no damage done. The 3rd and 4th were really close and could go either way but i gave gave the 3rd to BJ for the cleaner more powerful strikes and Frankies failed TD attempts. the 4th i gave a 10-10 and the 5th Frankie was just way more active and i gave him that round.

#33 ·
Yeah, I'd say 3 rounds to 2 for Frankie. In either case no-one should be saying that BJ got "robbed", it was a close fight either way.

#34 ·
If you stop looking at rounds and score the fight as a whole, Frankie had it. BJ was doing just as much as Edgar in the opening rounds but as the fight went on you could tell Edgar was taking it. Those takedowns, though not much damage was done, were huge in my book. Taking BJ down is no easy task especially at LW. Joe and Goldy were talking about how he's never been taken down at LW and then Frankie pulls some pretty slick TD's.

But, Edgar was just super impressive that night. I don't know what was going on in BJ's head but he looked weak, slow, and just unmotivated.

#39 ·
Originally, I scored the fight for Penn and was surprised that the fight ended up going to Edgar.

At the end of the fight, going back and watching the bout again two or three times, I realized that I was pretty seriously biased in my original scoring of the fight.

B.J. did a great job countering Edgar and doing damage. But Edgar put on a great display of boxing, did a great job landing kicks with a decent level of efficiency and realistically outworked B.J.

I was very impressed with Edgar and while I don't agree with a 50-45 score for Edgar or anything like that, I do think that the win is perfectly understandable.

I do think B.J. will win the rematch, though. He looked sluggish and I hope that if the two fight again, he'll show up at 100%.

#46 ·
Well actually, this is where things get confusing re: scoring, and I believe a similar situation may have happened in the Machida/Shogun fight. Firstly, the judges were obviously not really watching or knew what to do seeing as one judge scored the fight 50-45 [I still can't believe that]. Secondly, according to the fight metric BJ landed more strikes and was generally more effective in the standing battle, which the fight predominantly was. This then leads me to believe that the decision was based on another factor; movement. Frankie was far more actively moving around, bobbing and weaving about the play, constantly circling. Had he of been more still but the same amount of strikes had of been landed by either opponent then there's a chance BJ would have won the fight.

#50 ·
48-47 Penn

1,2,3-Penn
4,5- Edgar

As mentioned these judges and Shogun was champ.

Without 10points must system. Edgar was a winner. Penn was pretty much done at the end of the fight.

#51 ·
I had BJ winning the fight. 4-1. I could maybe see Edgar winning the 3rd round and he for sure won the 5th. But BJ won this fight. BJ hit him with the harder shots, stuffed every takedown except 1, where he got up in about 1 second. BJ was stalking him the whole fight, which is octagon control, being in the center of the octagon bringing the fight to Edgar. All Edgar really had was his takedown attempts which he failed on 95% of them, and a whooole lot of moving around. Maybe you get points for moving in Abu Dhabi. All rounds were pretty close dont get me wrong, but i cant see how someone like Machida can keep his title when he lost the fight against shogun a lot worse than BJ did vs Frankie. The judges in the shogun fight said, Shogun didnt do enough to take the belt, you need to beat the champ. If the BJ fight would of happened whereever the Shogun fight took place, BJ would still be champ right now.

4-1 BJ.

#52 ·
this fight was almost impossible to score. i had penn winning the 1st, edgar winning 2nd and 5th and the 3rd and 4th were so close i had them as a draw.

the only decisive round in the fight was the 5th, every other round could have been scored to either fighter.

frankie displayed great footwork and movement throughout the fight. however he didn't really begin to outwork penn until the 5th. penn was countering edgar alot, so most exchanges were even. going into the fight i thought penns power would be too much, but edgar's great movement enabled him to dodge most strikes and nothing really landed cleanly. in a rematch i'd favor penn, he didn't seem very motivated for this fight, this loss may be the fire penn needs.

a 50-45 score seems as though the fighter won a lopsided fight. this wasn't the case though, each round was razor close and edgar did just enough to secure each round in the judges eyes.

#56 ·
a 50-45 score seems as though the fighter won a lopsided fight. this wasn't the case though, each round was razor close and edgar did just enough to secure each round in the judges eyes.
Then the judge is an idiot.

Rounds 1 and 2 were close, but not that close and, as the numbers indicate, he definitely won them.

#53 ·
I had it 49-46 to Penn and at the least thought he'd get a 48-47. Didn't see how it could be 50-45 Edgar though, that was insane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.