MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - I need some advice

View Single Post

Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
luger0
Flyweight

luger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of lightluger0 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFT_Ian View Post
Well it sounds like you are in pretty great shape.

But...

You don't mention any cardio.

Get some technical training as well. This lifting and working out you do is all well and good. Until you step into the ring/cage against a guy who has worked out and combines it with actual MMA technical training. Knowing how you want to fight, and being skilled and trained enough to dictate that fight will be fought like that, are not the same thing.

I'm pretty sure most anyone here would agree with that. If you are serious about it then get trained, and work your cardio.
I totally agree CTF, I am planning on running with a pal from high-school who ran cross-country with me. We're planning to run at least 5-miles daily for 2 weeks and bump it to 8 or 10 miles for 2-4 weeks and see what we want to do from there.

If he'd be willing I'd go the rest of the summer break he's got and do 10 mile runs mon-friday.

I have a pal at work who is suggesting Jiu-Jitsu, I am not sure if I would follow through on that side. I know that the sport is highly-centered on that discipline, I just doubt it would be a good thing to start there for me at least.

I however found a course in Taekwondo for rather cheap $45/month about 20-25 minutes from where I live now.

I have some good news, I talked with a friend from church today at work and he's got a bench-press (bench,bars, and free-weight) that he wants to get rid of for next to nothing. I'll enjoy being able to work parts I haven't been able to while sticking to push-ups as my main chest-builder and arm endurance builder.

I am curious about increasing my punch rapidity and strength would using a resistance band plus some dumbbells be a bad thing?

I have done the punch-endurance stuff as mentioned prior and was timing myself for straight jabs from a full-cock position if you could call it that (like when you are starting to push-up like in the push-up exercise) in 30 seconds I was able to get 45 jabs in completely sore from the workout.

In my mind I want to train to be able to throw against at least 60-pounds of resistance if not greater 4-times/second for 15-20 minutes for a straight jab & cross. Would that be over-training in any way?
luger0 is offline   Reply With Quote