Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Chael calls the middleweight division toughest, light heavyweigh a "joke"

5K views 72 replies 53 participants last post by  Life B Ez 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The ever-outspoken, feather-ruffling politician/fighter from Oregon, Chael Sonnen, has unsurprisingly not decided to pull his verbal jabs. In an interview given to Fight! Magazine at last weekend's UFC Fan Expo, Sonnen not only took shots at former Light Heavyweight Champions Tito Ortiz and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, he called out the entire light heavyweight division.

"185 pounds is the toughest division in the business," said the real estate agent. "If you're going to go after the belt, go after the tough one. I'd love to get a night off and go beat up some of [the UFC's light heavyweights]. For god's sake, 205 had a karate guy that was their champion. That weight class is a joke."

Dismissing the world-class Lyoto Machida as a "karate guy" will certainly incense some fans but is likely just another attempt by Sonnen to ruffle feathers. With established fighters such as Rashad Evans, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Randy Couture, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Forrest Griffin, Thiago Silva, Brandon Vera and champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua dotting its roster in addition to talented up-and-comers Jon "Bones" Jones, Jason Brilz, Ryan Bader and Phil Davis it is difficult to make the argument that the UFC's light heavyweight division is a joke. Perhaps we will eventually get the chance to see Sonnen test his skills against the heavier fighters at 205.

In addition to calling them out by virtue of association with their division, Sonnen also took aim personally at "Rampage" and "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy."

In an obvious allusion to Ortiz's highly-publicized dispute with the UFC, Sonnen said: "If I beat Anderson Silva and become the World Champion, I imagine I'll get in a public dispute with the UFC, I'll call Dana a bunch of names throughout the media and I imagine I'll leave the company. After about a year or so, I'll realize that there's nowhere else to go, return to the UFC with a raise and probably coach the reality show. I'm just sayin' it seems to be the trend, doesn't it?"

Sonnen also joined those critical of Quinton Jackson's fledgling acting career.

"I won't watch the A-Team movie," said Sonnen. "That was my favorite TV show, but they cast the wrong guy. I won't be watching it."

Whatever Sonnen's mission, it is clear that he is not looking to make friends of many of his fellow fighters. Though he may not be attracting the admiration of his peers, Sonnen's outlandish comments and willingness to call just about anyone out have him quickly being noticed and appreciated by many MMA fans. Win or lose, the entertainment value that Sonnen carries with him into his fights will likely keep him employed for some time; whether or not you find that to be a good thing is another matter altogether.
Funny, I thought middleweight was the least stacked.

#2 ·
#5 · (Edited)
If it's so easy Chael, why don't you fight at LHW considering you cut from 220+, and Machida is 202 and Shogun 212-213.

Why don't you just show us how you are gonna dominate? You should have no problems manhandling those guys if you are so strong.

That said, I'd hate to admit it, but Chael could do pretty well in LHW considering how good his freestyle wrestling is. He could LNP probably half the divisions top fighters who have no takedown defense.

#13 ·
chael is funny, its funny because anderson will absolutely destroy this guy. and we wont hear alot from him after that..

also he shouldnt mistake rampage for anderson, rampage might actually **** him up outside the cage

#19 ·
This guy is just putting fans in the seats in a new way. No body would have cared about this fight and Chael is an inteligent guy. He knows that if enough people want to see him get knocked out then he will at least have some money and publicity. A lot of people are talking about him now and he has even convinced some people to start cheering for him. This fight is going to be a joke and Anderson will have another KO added to his highlight reel. Maybe with some added prefight interviews from Chael to make it look like it was actually something to watch.

#24 · (Edited)
Chael's the joke, not the light heavyweight division. He honestly believes that the least stacked division in the UFC is the toughest? Granted, the toughest, best, greatest Mixed Martial Artist, Anderson Silva, is on the top of the division. But seriously, besides Silva, there is nobody that anybody has even thought about mentioning as one of the P4P best. The only reason anything this tool says is even close to funny is because of how dumb and delusional it is. Personally, I'd love to see him move up though on to watch the "karate guy" kick his ******* head off.

#26 ·
Rather a 'karate guy' the champ than a one dimensional wrestler.

#28 · (Edited)
Wow, Chael is the best trash talker ever!!!! But I hope he realizes by talking smack about Machida he is going to light an even bigger fire under Anderson. I think this might be the best shape we have ever seen Silva come in for a fight, I wouldn't even doubt if Machidas Dad is showing Anderson ways to KILL Chael in the ring. The Black house has so much pride it's crazy and Chael keeps shitting all over them.

I really don't know how Chael can win. Even if he takes him down. Chael has always been vunerable to the submisson game, and Anderson Silva has long legs and has a black belt in BJJ and has submitted some great figters on the ground like Hendo, lutter, Newton etc...

On top of all this he has to get Silva the ground..Man that is not an easy task, that means he going to eat some very accurate punches coming in, kicks or knees.

I really hope Silva punishes Chael for all 5 rounds then KO's him....And then moves up in weight. And then GSP moves up and beats Chaels ass at his own game:thumb02:

#29 ·
I never really find the guy to be funny and the stuff he says make him seem like a chode to me. Some "karate guy?" There is literally no doubt in my mind that Lyoto would push his shit in, and I'm not even a Lyoto fan. He just annoys the hell out of me, especially considering my most poignant memories of him are him grabbing the fence and screaming like a girl while people submit him.

I understand his trash talk is gaining him fans and gathering media attention, but man if it doesn't rub me the wrong way.

#38 ·
I never really find the guy to be funny and the stuff he says make him seem like a chode to me. Some "karate guy?" There is literally no doubt in my mind that Lyoto would push his shit in, and I'm not even a Lyoto fan. He just annoys the hell out of me, especially considering my most poignant memories of him are him grabbing the fence and screaming like a girl while people submit him.

I understand his trash talk is gaining him fans and gathering media attention, but man if it doesn't rub me the wrong way.
Most of the people on the Sonnen bandwagon now are too new or only watch UFC and don't remember all his screams for help I guess. They should watch the Chael Sonnen getting subbed highlight video on youtube. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.