Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

girls and muay thai

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  americanfighter 
#1 ·
so how do you guys feel about girls training in muay thai? and I don't mean just for fitness or fun, but serious training? I've heard from a friend that when she spars there are some guys that are really good to spar with as they don't hold back, but they don't go all out..and there are some that completely wail on her.

oops..sorry, just realized this is in the wrong area of the forum..i'll move it somewhere else :p

#2 ·
Depends on the girl. A girl like gina carano could probably kick my ass violently.

But most girls I'd just spar up to their ability. I almost never go full force anyways because shit gets hurt and injuries happen like that. But if the girl could put it to me, I'd put it back as much as she wanted.

(i have never actually sparred with a girl)

#5 ·
I had to roll with a sweaty teenage kid with acne :thumbsdown:

If I had an attractive, feisty lass to roll with I might still do bjj.

#6 ·
I never like sparring with girls. Im a good sized dude and I generally have to take pretty much everything out of my strikes when I spar with females. Not trying to sound like a badass or anything, its just the nature of being larger and athletic (im 6'2, about 235 lbs., not fat). I feel like a major asshole if I accidently hurt my training partners. Im not some sexist asshole either, I dont like sparring with little dudes either. Same problem.

#7 ·
TBH I appreciate any training partner telling me how hard they're going to go.

Drills are not necessarily like "light live standup" or grappling drills with some resistance if you ask for it, or like full-on.

Whoever you are or wherever you train, it's assy if everybody else is going light for the purposes of a drill and you try to K someone the F O. If you hurt your sparring partners because you couldn't be bothered to tell them "I'm going to go 100%" then you're short a training partner. That makes a difference in a small gym.

#8 ·
I can't do it, there are some women in one of my Muay Thai classes. I don't spar with them anymore, no offense to women out there, but I felt was I was being attacked by my son. It's possible I'm just a big guy and was too concerned about hurting them.

They are very good though, I just can't bring myself to kick one of those girls haha, every single one of my senses tells me not to. My wife wants to start taking BJJ classes "together" but she's never been to a class in her life, which means I'd be in the beginners classes, I keep trying to tell her it's not a couple thing haha. We can do plenty together, martial arts is not one of them.

I'm sure I probably sound like a male chauvinist, but it's just my opinion, sorry Swp :(

#9 ·
None taken. I would not attempt to take a class where there was full on sparring with my husband. Also BJJ is not a good art for couples who are both beginners to take together, it's only for adaptation to the bedroom in that regard, IMO. If you both become very well versed in that art on your own, the picture may change a little.

Having said that, my husband is a good uke for my blossoming judo skills.

#11 · (Edited)
I am ok with ok but you have to have allot of control and it takes some getting use to. In one of my clases we had half the people holding pads against their body and we were throwing punch combos. We would run to the next person ever 90 seconds. I am about 5,9 180 One guy was holding a pad and he was twice my size when I rotated the next person was a girl who was smaller than me and was probably 70 pounds lighter. I wasnt paying atention and hit the pad with a huge right cross and sent her half way across the room.

It is kinda an incinveinance because you have to hold back so much but I don't have a problem with girls in my class although I try to avoid trainning with them sometimes for the same reasons listed by other people.

#13 ·
honestly that's an oxymoron, they don't hold back but they don't go all out...
I got news for you, they are doing one or the other I mean the two terms are mutually exclusive
I think I know what overall point she was aiming at but I like women training
that's your big question and my answer is I like it, I like everyone training

#14 ·
We have a number of women at our gym that fight both pro and ammy. The same rules apply regardless of gender. Go as hard as your partner, let them know if you want to tone it down. Sparring with these women can be tough as they're very technical. They have no problem with bringing the pace and are willing to take a good hit. If you don't bring it they'll ruin your day!!

#15 ·
They have no problem with bringing the pace and are willing to take a good hit. If you don't bring it they'll ruin your day!!
True but i am really not ok with hitting a girl. In sparring with a girl i just try and work on my defense but my gym does a good job keeping the girls separate from the guys and only sparing with each other so i don't have to worry too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.