MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Judo vs. BJJ In The MMA World

View Single Post

Old 02-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #38 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyz
imo theres no such thing because all martial arts are "mixed martial arts" judo has striking techniques, so does bjj, karate has grappeling in it etc

good post, in fact i think in the book gurilla jiu jitzu the author made a point about how most bjj people dont know how to effectively use take downs and throws
Good post, myz.

What he's trying to say about MMA as the ultimate style is that mixing styles is way more effective than just pure styles like BJJ or Judo. The best martial art, but that standard is the "mixed martial art" or the art that's comprehensive. Obviously, it's not an organized style, but it is a school of thought that many (if not most) fighters in this day and age follow.

There are a lot of people who criticize BJJ people for their inability to defend the takedown. I, personally, have trained with BJJ guys who are working on that. The real issue isn't that all BJJ fighters don't know it, it's that alot of BJJ schools don't teach it, so the students have to go elsewhere to become really excellent and complete martial artists.

By the same token, there are things that I didn't learn in Judo before I started looking at BJJ, but I feel that I was much more well rounded than the BJJ guys were because I could take my opponents down fairly easily, as well as use that to get myself into top position with relative ease.

The point is, all BJJ practitioners who want to be effective even in Jiu-Jitsu competition should learn takedowns, both for the initial takedown and the ability to defend the takedown. That's what my point was.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote