MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Effective way to harden shins?

View Single Post

Old 06-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Squirrelfighter
Squirrel Fighting Champ

Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcall420 View Post
What your looking to accomplish is building what is kown as trebeculi in your bones. think of it as webbing that can be formed by beating the area repeatedly....it can be strengthend but it takes a long time......

your idea...sounds kinda dumb....why not just bare against a heavy bag????
This man here. He knows what he's talking about.

There are a great many ways to condition your shins:
1. Hitting a heavy bag. Throwing kicks to a heavy bag, especialy leg kicks to the bottom of the bag where it is hardest.
2. Checking kicks. Doing attack and defense drills with a sparring partner, i.e. checking leg kicks and countering, things like that is an effective overall training method that happens to include great shin conditioning. Warning! Edemas(fluid filled bulbs) all up and down your shins with this one!
3. Traditional Conditioning. In traditional Martial Arts, specifically Japanese and Chinese arts, there is a form of conditioning that includes a 1/2-1 inch thick piece of wood and shin checks. In this case, your parnter holding the stick swings it in a kicking motion and the defender checks the kick.

I've found that #2 is the best option. But everyone is different and different training works best for everyone. I'd try a few things out and see what flows best!

Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. Thatís it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote