MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - IronMan's Log

Thread: IronMan's Log
View Single Post

Old 06-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #283 (permalink)
IronMan
True Grappler

IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Comfort Under Pressure

So, I was training with some of my friends at K-ONE Fitness in San Francisco. For those nearby, I highly recommend the coaching there. Stephan Goyne, who's now a BJJ blackbelt, is a phenomenal instructor and the training partners are great.

I was rolling with a couple of different people during the sparring portion of the class and afterwards and one of the things that struck me as I was rolling was the pronounced difference in attitude between myself and a lot of the other students.

I'm still getting my game back up to 100% after months of a certain level of negligence in judo, but I find that I still have a level of comfort under physical pressure. When someone is putting pressure on my legs trying to pass my guard, or pressuring me in side control, I don't panic.

With a lot of things that I've been working on, I've actually had a moment where I realized that its not helpful to panic. I don't think I ever had that in jiu-jitsu. It's one of those things. I've just slowly stopped being worried when I feel weight on top of me.

I don't know where that comes from, but it seems so fundamentally necessary to good (or even passable) jiu-jitsu, it's just more important to think about what's next. With effective use of really important positions in a lot of jiu-jitsu games, just thinking about what's next is important, regardless of the weight that's being placed on you.

I've spent a lot of time working on X-guard and deep half guard, and I'll probably get into those later in the week, this was just a thought from the workout last night.

Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote