MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - IronMan's Log

Thread: IronMan's Log
View Single Post

Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #284 (permalink)
Freelancer
Lightweight

Freelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By AllFreelancer Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
So, I was training with some of my friends at K-ONE Fitness in San Francisco. For those nearby, I highly recommend the coaching there. Stephan Goyne, who's now a BJJ blackbelt, is a phenomenal instructor and the training partners are great.

I was rolling with a couple of different people during the sparring portion of the class and afterwards and one of the things that struck me as I was rolling was the pronounced difference in attitude between myself and a lot of the other students.

I'm still getting my game back up to 100% after months of a certain level of negligence in judo, but I find that I still have a level of comfort under physical pressure. When someone is putting pressure on my legs trying to pass my guard, or pressuring me in side control, I don't panic.

With a lot of things that I've been working on, I've actually had a moment where I realized that its not helpful to panic. I don't think I ever had that in jiu-jitsu. It's one of those things. I've just slowly stopped being worried when I feel weight on top of me.

I don't know where that comes from, but it seems so fundamentally necessary to good (or even passable) jiu-jitsu, it's just more important to think about what's next. With effective use of really important positions in a lot of jiu-jitsu games, just thinking about what's next is important, regardless of the weight that's being placed on you.

I've spent a lot of time working on X-guard and deep half guard, and I'll probably get into those later in the week, this was just a thought from the workout last night.
I have a big problem with this. I can't handle pressure very well. Do you think one can learn to control himself or that it will just come to him?