MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Squirrelfighter's Training Journal

View Single Post

Old 06-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Squirrelfighter
Squirrel Fighting Champ

Squirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatSquirrelfighter Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Post #5

Holy ****in' Jesus Christ on a cracker! Why am I laughing this hurts like hell!

That aptly describes me kicking an elbow with my instep. Last night I was training with my sparring partner.

Training. We did the usual padwork warm ups, focusing mostly on hands since that's an area where I'm rather lacking(I loves me the kicks!). I also need to buy new focus mitts. The poor quality $40 Everlasts from Dicks Sporting Goods are not designed for rigorous use.

Next came sparring, this was nice, I still have minor issues with guaging distance, mostly with my hands, also my new guard needs more work to become what I want it to be. I got cracked twice in the nugget with hands, and once with a roundhouse. So it definitely needs work. Things were going nicely, we'd been sparring for around 15-20 minutes non-stop, I was sweating like a terrorist in Gitmo, but my cardio wasn't bad and I was keeping my wind. My partner threw a lazy jab and I countered with a rear left roundhouse to the body. He snapped his elbow down and cracked into my instep. The sound was reminiscent of when you knock on a solid wooden door....only it really ****in hurt! I dropped onto one leg/one knee wincing, hissing and laughing like an imbecile!

I hobbled around for a couple minutes, threw a couple lazy low kicks to see how it felt. Watched in horror as the skin turned dark purple--well not horror, it was kinda cool looking--and talked with my partner about the next aspect of training for the night.

We moved on to takedowns and sprawls. I can't use this in my tournament, but he can, he'll be competing in the Sanshou(Chinese Kickboxing) area of the Festival, where you are allowed to takedown the opponent, you just can't actually ground fight. This wasn't bad, I at least got to continue some MMA based training, while he got to work on something applicable for March.

I have been watching videos on das Youtube of several of the fights from last year, as well as the year before. Some of the guys fighting were laughable; Arm punching, gassing in the first half of the first 2 minute round, wobbling like a weeble with each kick...but then there were others, guys with scary technique, guys who could in one fluid motion change from a lead leg roundhouse into a lead leg heel hook or axe kick. Guys who were hopping up and down in their corner between rounds because they wanted to get back in the fight. These are the guys I have to train for. I'm not training to contend with the abilities of a half-assed local boy, these skilled fighters come from all around the region to fight in this amateur tournament. Its them I have to contend with, and keep my focus on being good enough to beat. Its fun, scary, and exciting as shit all at once!

Diet: I have been eating a remarkably small amount of food compared to where I used to, and I've already seen results. My fight shorts, which could no longer fit in any comfortable way--looking remarkably like compression shorts--now fit more comfortably, though not nearly perfectly yet. I also hopped on a scale for the first time in several months and found I'd lost 7lbs, which is awesome as shit! As for actual eating, I have only been eating 1-2 meals a day. This in and of itself is not bad. Its when only 1 meal is eaten without sufficient nutrients that the body enters survival mode and converts all calories to fat. I have been eating meals of approx 900-1000 calories. With as much nutritional value as I can find. I also hope to buy a multi-vitamin to cover as many bases as posible--I heard Flintstones are nice!

Sig courtesy of that photo-matic magician limba

Quote:
I went out the way that I fight. I went out on my shield. That’s it. Done. --Chuck Liddell
Quote:
My goal is to end my opponent --Carlos Condit
Squirrelfighter is offline   Reply With Quote