MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Time to Blog, I mean Train

View Single Post

Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
JakeS
MMA Fanatic

JakeS has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Cool Time to Blog, I mean Train

Logging my training seems like the appropriate thing to start doing right now so here I go.

Very General: I lived in Cincinnati most of my life and am going to college in Asheville this Fall.

Pretty General: I will be training all year and hopefully competing 3 months a year on my college's mountain bike team and I want to spend the rest of the year in different fighting disciplines. I think long-term periodization wise varying my sports like that could work out pretty well.

General: I have a strong lifting background. I have a strong cardio background. I did taekwondo(I know it sucks) for a few years, wrestled a season, and have trained in boxing 10 times. and a lot of other unrelated sports.

More Specific: I had my first backyard-ish fight earlier tonight 3, 2 min rounds. Analyzation: I won. I was a able to land 3 stomach shot taekwando-ish kicks (sorry i don't know how to use my shin), had about four take downs (although I had no idea what to do after the takedown), a lot of good crosses, I'm a southpaw, and.............a KO spinning backfist to end the fight thanks to watching youtube earlier today. It was against this dushbag pretty-boy who's swimming for a division1 college next year. He was in much better shape than me but a true girly man....anyways the KO got me exicted about fighting,
to the point where I'm stil up at 5A.M. typing.

Even More Specific: Honestly, half my athletic focus is on mountain biking for the next four years (till I graduate) but I figure I can say "biked today, hard workout" on an MMA forum without issue versus "knocked a dude out today" on a mountain bike forum and people are like wtf is this kid.

Most Speicifically: I made a goal a little over 6 months ago (as my high school athletics wrap up) to compete as an amateur in MMA. From there:

Cardio/Strength: I've already been as fast/strong as I would ever need to be during my school sports training but it went something like this....8th grade cross country: I was a fast little skinny shit....9th grade football: eating and lifting got me jacked up but I lossed some endurance.......so my goal is to have both speed and strength at the same time. Hence, the goals are really just my old bests.

Summer 2011: I'm returning to Cinci for the summers
From Furthest time frame to Current...Next Summer I want to put down the money $300 to go train at JG's gym and hopefully have first fight at end of summer. Not party much and just: work, train, and chill everyday. Maybe even some MMA specific conditioning.

Spring/Winter 2011
Regain all my 1-rep maxes: 215lbs. hang clean, 240-60 lbs. bench, I think squat was around 295lbs. but biomechanically deadlifting is easier for me (long arms and torso) so squat and dealdift over 300lbs. hopefully probably more.......I think I could do most of my heavy lifting work in the winter and spring when there's not much else to do outside.

Spring/Winter 2011
Regain my Stamina, Speed: So obviously almost all my "roadwork" will be bike riding cause of the whole college team thing but I figure I could work in some swimming in the winter and running in the spring to compete with my old running times with a sub 12:00 2mile, and sub 28 or 29 second 200 meter sprint to work both speed endurance/lactic acid parts of cardio and my faster twitching muscle fibers. and hopefully ski a lot

*Pending me having a car at college, theres a boxing gym near my school I may train at in the spring. Also there is a wrestling club at the college, just once a week, but it'll keep my ground game while I'm away

Fall 2010: Adjusting to college, train with the mountain bike team and hopefully compete, just trying to study and make friends.

Rest of summer 2010: Well a couple days ago I put down the $140 it takes to train at Vision MMA in Cincinnati for two months.So I'll try to go like 4 classes a week something like: mon.boxing.tues.boxing.weds.rest.thurs.rolling.fri .wrestlin
and ride my bike like 5 days a week

I'm in okay shape now but I nearly throw up everytime I go hard for like 6 rounds. This winter/fall I'll work strength endurance goals:I'll caculate them later...........I would love to say 60 pull-ups, 500 sit-ups, 400 push ups and 300 bench dips in an endurance workout like they do for the military special forces, but I have never worked at strength endurance that hard and I do like 20 pullups, and 125 pullups and situps, when I work strength endurance "workouts"(if you could even call them that it takes like 15 minutes total). But hey, maybe a year from now....

well if you read all this your either really bored or probly confused by my poor english...anyways typing it all out helps me figure out how I'm going to do it all so thanks for the open space on the internet!

Last edited by JakeS : 09-11-2010 at 06:14 PM.
JakeS is offline   Reply With Quote