MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - How far we are away?

View Single Post

Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
deadmanshand
The Internet Prophet

deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.deadmanshand Is among the most hated on the net.
Bobby... you are still being an elitist. MMA is a martial art. It is. It is a martial art as much as jiujitsu is. Jiujitsu's actual philosophy is whatever works. Sounds a lot like mma to me.

Why is someone specialized in one thing more respectable in your eyes than someone who mastered multiple disciplines? It doesn't make any sense. There is no perfection in any martial art. Training in martial arts is a constant search for perfection but there is no end to it. You don't reach a certain point in Judo and relax because you have perfected it. You don't do that with Muay Thai, Karate, Kung Fu, Jiujitsu, or any other martial art in existence.

To me mixed martial arts is the epitome of martial arts. It is taking 2000+ years of training and seeing what actually works. Thus the extraneous bits begin to flake away and we get a martial art that is effective. The purest form of hand to hand combat and - as more people train in it - we get to see the real differences between fighters. It will be two men with access to the samea training proving which of them has the stronger mind in the ring. Proving who has trained harder. Proving who deserves to be a champion.

If you don't like that this is not the sport for you. Fighting isn't about philosophy. It's about fighting. It's about stepping into the eye of the storm and coming out with your head held high. Your beliefs that it is not an art are superfluous. It will not change that it is. It will not change what is coming.

If you don't want to watch the evolution of hand to hand combat then don't. Go practice one of your "respectable" arts and let the rest of us enjoy.

And, just to let you know, I come from that old school background. I have a black belt in both Judo and Tae Kwon Do as well as a blue belt in Shotokan Karate. I'm not someone trained at one of these barbaric gyms.