Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Striking vs. Grappling

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  doomed28 
#1 ·
Ok so I am new to this site and this is my first thread post. So here it goes.

I am just curious how many people preferr striking to grappling, or viseversa...Anyway I am a striker. I am 6'6 and weigh in at 275. I have found that being big can acomodate striking much better than grappling. I am not saying it doesn't work for everyone but for me it has worked great. I have been practicing for about 5 years but havent done any real big fights to give myself a proffesional record. I am from the Sacramento area in California and am very interested in getting into some good tournaments.

#2 ·
Shotokan4Life said:

I am just curious how many people preferr striking to grappling, or viseversa...Anyway I am a striker. I am 6'6 and weigh in at 275. I have found that being big can acomodate striking much better than grappling. I am not saying it doesn't work for everyone but for me it has worked great. I have been practicing for about 5 years but havent done any real big fights to give myself a proffesional record. I am from the Sacramento area in California and am very interested in getting into some good tournaments.
start at a local smokers.
your a bit too late to register for golden gloves, but thet goes down late april, or early may around here.

#3 · (Edited)
Well, its pretty even, if the striker doesnt know any grappling then the grappler would win, but this generation of strikers know alot of grappling, all in all i think thier pretty tied up, if the grappler takes it to the ground its gona be almost impossible for the striker to win, but if the grappler takes to much time being on his legs, then the striker will win.

But if i had to pick i would take grappling over striking.

Im a grappler myself.

#6 ·
I eventually want to be so well rounded that I don't really care if a fight is standing or on the ground. But naturally I always want to strike.

#7 ·
I think I'd have to go with grappling, because you don't have to be trained in striking in order to knock somebody out. It helps obviously, but it isn't a must. Whereas if you go to the ground with no training your in no mans land. You might as well be Art Jimmerson with one boxing glove on.

P.S. sorry if i got the guys name wrong, i'm thinking of UFC 1 when Royce takes the boxer down, and he taps before Royce can do anything to him.

#8 ·
Shotokan4Life said:

Yes, if you are bigger, striking does favor you. Mass works well in striking since physics denotes that Force = Mass X Acceleration.

Myself, I love the striking arts. However, I've never been physically gifted enough to be a phenomenal striker (too short/too small) and I've always had a better grasp of grappling. So I prefer grappling.

Besides, I find that even though the fastest way to make someone unconscious is a sheer amount of blunt force trauma to their head, the most reliable way to make someone unconscious is to cut of the oxygen to their brain. The best chin in the world won't save you from a properly applied choke.

#9 ·
Well it depends, really. A lot of people love to think that if you're a grappler, you've won the fight against a striker, even before it has begun.
A skilled striker can keep from being taken to the ground, by moving around, swift strikes, and keeping distance. That's a little hard to do, though.

But yeah, even if you're a striker, you should know some basic grappling, so that you could get back on your feet in case you make a mistake. I know in my old Karate class, we learned a lot of basic grappling, even a takedown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.