Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Advice for the new guy?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RossCrispin 
#1 ·
Hey guys on the forum, been reading a few hours and thought I might as well join up as the advice given to others is incredibly informative and helpful.

Now, a little bit about me. I'm Ross, 18 years old from Brighton, England. (Hometown of John Hathaway) And I've been interested in MMA for a while now. I did about 6 months of kickboxing when I was 9 years old, but since I moved I never did it again. So I stopped, but always had that urge to start again to build confidence, since I'm the skinny guy.

Now, I'm thinking about learning some more martial arts, but this is where I need advice.

About a year and a half ago, I tore my ACL, whilst BMXing. And I had a hamstring graft in order to repair it a few months after tearing it. Rehab was great, I still do exercises every day on the knee in order to keep the muscle strength at its best. I still BMX today and without any problems. I've been rehabing since december now, and decided to get some advice on how long I should leave it before I begin MMA lessons, or even start.

I understand there's lots of pressure on the knees in certain martial arts such as Judo, however. Since I BMX, and regularly mountain bike a good 15 miles a week in one go, I feel a little bit more work on the muscle around the knee should give me more than enough stability.

What's your opinion, anything would be appreciated and any experience even more so :)

Cheers, regards.

Ross.

See less See more
#4 ·
I actually enquired today at a fight school here in Brighton, the instructors told me as long as the instructors are A-okay with me doing it, and I'm confident my knee will hold up, it won't be a problem.

I can see my knee swelling up, but it does now and then anyway. However I'm sure there won't be a major issue with it, considering I BMX regularly on my bike, and I've had no problems in the 6 months I've been back to doing stunts on the bliming things.

I'm going to attend a few of their beginner MMA sessions before signing up for a membership, so I'm excited and rearing to go.

I've been doing lots of exercises on the knee to improve the muscle strength, and in the past 2 weeks have been upping how much weight I use in my ankle weight and then adding +10 reps to it. So far so good, so let's hope everything's fine.

Thank you for replying though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.