MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Your Opinion on PRIDE Rules and UFC Rules

View Single Post

Old 02-27-2007, 04:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
I.P.Freely
Bantamweight

I.P.Freely is an unknown quantity at this pointI.P.Freely is an unknown quantity at this pointI.P.Freely is an unknown quantity at this point
A couple of areas you miss- no punishment for stalling and no knees to a downed opponent. These are both rules that favour a combination of superior wrestling and lay and pray.

No elbows to a downed opponent is a good rule. As someone said here once, elbows are a great way to end a fight before its ready. IMO getting into a full mount and being able to punch from that position is a big enough advantage already. I don't think this penalizes Muay Thai fighters at all- elbows go with the GAP arsenal and are more associated with wrestlers. Think brutal elbow and you think Randy, Tito, Evan Tanner.

Another advantage Pride has is scoring over the entire fight, not for each round. Scoring individual rounds lets people 'steal the round' by putting on a flurry right at the end.
I.P.Freely is offline   Reply With Quote