MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Roman-Greco In MMA

View Single Post

Old 07-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
raymardo
Featherweight

raymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enoughraymardo will become famous soon enough
Thanks

Glad you enjoyed the article. Thanks.

I won a few medals, probably the most promininent in the AAU was the 136.5 lb. Middle Atlantic Region title. I didn't know much about freestyle when I started competing, learned as I went along.

All of my experience was based on scholastic wrestling where if you roll through across your back to your base, you give up no points. Such is not the case in Freestyle where I rolled through enough times in one match to lose by a technical fall. Tough way to learn the rules. I thought I was doing good ;-)

I also competed in the AAU Greco Roman tournaments just for experience and some mat time to work out since they were held at the same time as the Freestyle events. I never even contemplated wrestling that style until the day of the event.

It's tough.

I use a lot of leg riding techniques and also use legs to defend moves. That was all eliminated in Greco Roman.

My first Greco Roman match was against Eric Wetzel who, at the time, was ranked 16th in the world. Wetzel wrestled full time for the USMC. He was incredible. What a learning experience.

Ray Mardo

http://www.ultimatefightingchampionship.com
raymardo is offline   Reply With Quote