MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Tyson in his prime in MMA

View Single Post

Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
No_Mercy
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!

No_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF MaterialNo_Mercy Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Wolf View Post
Thats not true dude. Tysons trainer died before Tyson ever became Champ.
That's correct, but he molded him into becoming the champ he became. I've read his book a while back called "Bad Intentions," and watched his latest documentary.

Cus D'Amato:
He took Tyson under his wing and adopted him after Tyson's mother died, and trained him over the next few years, teaching him all the techniques and movements a stocky heavyweight could use. Despite Tyson's small size he soon became a superb heavyweight contender. D'Amato was assisted by Teddy Atlas, who later became a respected trainer himself and later Kevin Rooney. D'Amato died shortly before Tyson became the youngest world heavyweight titleholder in history.

Footage of D'Amato can be seen in Tyson (film), a documentary about Tyson, who in extended interviews credits D'Amato with turning his life around. D'Amato also encouraged Tyson to use the peek-a-boo approach style of boxing, where the hands are placed in front of the boxers face for more protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soojooko View Post
I absolutely cant disagree with a post any more than this one! Tyson was awesome in all aspects of boxing. This idea that he was all about power and speed is false. He had fecking brilliant head and foot movement. His defence was a lot better than most think. Forget his unravelling after Cus died. That doesn't mean a thing. When Tyson was on it, he was a god. Period. He would absolutely crush Hopkins and Toney. No doubt about that in my mind.
My analysis is simple. Had Cus been around Tyson would have gone down as one of the top 10's. He was ranked a lot lower than expected because of his downward spiral after the Buster loss and poor management from Don King. That's what's wrong with boxing. People like DK who care nothing about the sport, but fattening their wallets.

It's only fitting that boxing is beginning to slowly fade out.

Long live "IRON MIKE!"
No_Mercy is online now   Reply With Quote