MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos - View Single Post - Tyson in his prime in MMA

View Single Post

Old 08-27-2010, 02:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
wormathletics
MMA Fanatic

wormathletics has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCombat View Post
Tyson was the Heavyweight Champion when Boxing was the most famous it ever was and unfortunately, this embellishes (often inadvertantly) his credentials and skills as a boxer.

Tyson, although explosive and very powerful, is not nearly as skilled of a boxer as Toney is.

As a matter of fact, Toney would outwork Tyson, land more all purpose strikes, and utilize supreme footwork to frustrate Tyson and make him predictable (it would be a boring fight). I pick Toney over Tyson 8/10 times.

Now Hopkins on the other hand, a very smart fighter, methodical, tactical, with excellent conditioning; his length and reach probably wouldn't hurt either.

Although his attitude isn't always the greatest, I think a younger Hopkins would have more potential than the likes of Tyson or Toney.
I disagree with you. I think because of all the hoopla surrounding Tyson's life after he became heavy weight champion many people forget his boxing skills. He had good fundamentals and good skills but he rarely got to show it because of his power. If you want to see a glimpse of how good he was go back and watch some of his early fights before he became champion. What you will see is a boxer with good head movement, body movement, foot work, being able to switch and use either hand.. and if you've ever seen him train...he was a beast in the gym.